Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New lathe, Delta 46-460 or Nova Comet II

New lathe, Delta 46-460 or Nova Comet II

Great site everyone. Going to charge one of the above at Home Depot. Will be doing smaller bowls and vases etc. I know the 46-460 seems better but has had issues in the past with switches.

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by Wendell Steele; 11-24-2015 at 8:05 PM.

I had a 46-460 for 3 years. Turned lots of stuff including bowls. Never had a minute of trouble. Parts are available if needed.

Thank you for your input Mr. Wright.

I too have had a 46-460 for three years and have had no issues. It turned several hundred bowls before I got my large lathe. It is still working fine.

I just noticed a price of $530 at HD with free ship to home or store. Amazon has this price too. I think it is a good little lathe.

Thank you, gentlemen. I want the delta but reading the stories from a few years back was making me hesitant on getting it.

What is the "Nova Delta"? Do you mean the Comet?

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Ladendorf View Post
    What is the "Nova Delta"? Do you mean the Comet?
    Yes meant the Nova Comet II.

Wendell, the Delta 46-460 is well regarded, as comments in this thread show. I have turned a bit on both it and the Nova Comet II, and they are both nice little lathes. However, for what it's worth, I'll pass on something an international rock-star turning instructor pointed out to us at a workshop recently regarding the construction and rigidity of the Delta's headstock casting. With the belt-access cover flipped up, notice that the back side of the inboard wall of the headstock casting is unsupported across the top and on the side that faces the operator. With moderate pressure with his hand on the inboard side, simulating firm pressure with a gouge while turning, he was able to flex the casting.

This isn't an issue turning small objects, but the lathe is marketed as having a 12-1/2" swing. The instructor's point was that on a bowl approaching that size, the flex in the headstock casting can significantly affect the quality of cut. He says he pointed this out several years ago to the Delta engineers.

By contrast, on the Nova Comet II, there is a brace across the top of the belt-access opening on the operator side to stiffen the headstock against that type of flex.

As I say, I pass this comment along for what it's worth to you. It may not be an issue for the type of turning you plan to do.

Supposedly the parts issue has been worked out with delta.

I have and like the jet 1221 but I think the newer rikon is one of the most midi lathes for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Wendell, the Delta 46-460 is well regarded, as comments in this thread show. I have turned a bit on both it and the Nova Comet II, and they are both nice little lathes. However, for what it's worth, I'll pass on something an international rock-star turning instructor pointed out to us at a workshop recently regarding the construction and rigidity of the Delta's headstock casting. With the belt-access cover flipped up, notice that the back side of the inboard wall of the headstock casting is unsupported across the top and on the side that faces the operator. With moderate pressure with his hand on the inboard side, simulating firm pressure with a gouge while turning, he was able to flex the casting.

This isn't an issue turning small objects, but the lathe is marketed as having a 12-1/2" swing. The instructor's point was that on a bowl approaching that size, the flex in the headstock casting can significantly affect the quality of cut. He says he pointed this out several years ago to the Delta engineers.

By contrast, on the Nova Comet II, there is a brace across the top of the belt-access opening on the operator side to stiffen the headstock against that type of flex.

As I say, I pass this comment along for what it's worth to you. It may not be an issue for the type of turning you plan to do.
    Maybe I was just lucky, but everything I turned on mine was near maximum swing and I hogged it off with a 5/8 gouge as hard as that little motor would go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    Supposedly the parts issue has been worked out with delta.

I have and like the jet 1221 but I think the newer rikon is one of the most midi lathes for the money.
    Which Rikon model ?

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post

Thanks for the info. While watching some videos on the Comet I noticed some slippage on a 10in bowl. Dull tools could have attributed to it.

I would like to know more about Delta resolving their parts issue. I had to get to Better Business Bureau and certified letter to the president before I got a part. That was a couple of years ago. Has anybody been able to get an on/off switch or speed control in this last year?

IF the parts problem is solved, then I would recommend the lathe. It is very smooth. I plan to upgrade next year for size, but it has done all I asked of it.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 11-24-2015 at 9:29 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I have the Comet and have not had a problem. You do have to take lighter cuts as the size increases. I can not compare it to the Delta.
    I do not know HD's price but Tools Plus has the Comet for $515 with a free G3 (& free shipping).
    http://tools-plus-neutron2.ecomm-sea...7150&x=25&y=13
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe