Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best place to buy Powermatic

Best place to buy Powermatic

I've pretty much decided to pull the rope on a 3520B when the BF sale kicks in later this week. Everybody's price seems to be the same on these things (controlled by PM, no doubt), but even at equal prices all vendors are not equal--some excel in customer service, others are more likely to provide incentives of some sort (such as a deal on other items purchased at the same time as the lathe), and some are just plain "take it or leave it" operators.

So, what's the best place to buy one of these? Based on your experience, who should I buy from?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Hey Dan,
    I know there is a seller on the 'bay that offers a free bed extension. You might reach out to him. I seem to remember someone here mentioning a dealer that offers a similar incentive. Hopefully they will chime in. Congrats on the impending lathe! :-)

Doug

Tool Nut has free shipping. That included lift gate when I bought my Jet 1642 from them years ago. I do not think there are any extras. $3399.99 11/27- 11/30.

Packard Woodworks also does free delivery with lift gate.

Both seem to be good people to work with.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Most sellers offer free shipping with residential delivery and liftgate. If they don't, I wouldn't give them a second glance.

D.

I shaved my head.

I bought my PM from Tool Nut a few years ago. List was $3900 and Tool Nut had it for $3600 delivered. About a week later, the PM went on sale for $3300 and Tool Nut gave me the difference in store credit. Very happy with their service!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

When faced with the same decision several years ago, I opted for buying at a local brick and mortar. Cost about $80.00 more than it would have using an on line source, but there is a value to having a local store.

When I bought my 3520 several years ago Tool nut was by far the best deal at the time and were very good to work with. At that time Powermatic had a special that included the 18" extension and a metal Powermatic sign about 2 feet long (You can have the sign if you come and pick it up).

Dan,
    You might check with Mark's Machine, In Fort Smith. I think he has a BlackFriday Sale going.

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Morris IV View Post
    Dan,
    You might check with Mark's Machine, In Fort Smith. I think he has a BlackFriday Sale going.

Pat

I'd love to buy this from Mark, but the sales tax (9.75%) is money I can't afford to tack on to the deal. If I had the extra money to do it, I'd buy it from him just to help local business and encourage him to stay at it. Sadly, I need to get this done for as little as possible.

D.

I shaved my head.

After asking around, I've been told that the margins are so thin during the 15%/20% sales that nobody discounts Powermatic or Jet wh4en the sale is on. At the regular price, there's some room to negotiate, but not when the 15%/20% sale is active.

Given that reality, I've decided to buy my 3520B through Craft Supply on Friday. Not only does CS support my local club and other organizations in the woodturning world, but with their "Frequent Buyer Program" I can pick up a little over $100 in store credit. It's the best deal I've found so far, but if you find one better, feel free to share!

D.

I shaved my head.

Dan, CS was offering a free tailstock swinger with a 3520B but don't know if they do during the sale. I just got one recently and its nice to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Case LR View Post
    I'd love to buy this from Mark, but the sales tax (9.75%) is money I can't afford to tack on to the deal. If I had the extra money to do it, I'd buy it from him just to help local business and encourage him to stay at it. Sadly, I need to get this done for as little as possible.

D.

Dan, just fyi: http://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/offices/.../Pages/Co.aspx

Just a comment on the reference to use tax on out of state purchases, or for that matter, in state purchases. Many states, and apparently including Arkansas, provide an exemption for equipment used in manufacturing or processing. If one sells a product manufactured/processed on a lathe, it may be exempt. I provide exemption certificates when I buy some tools (not all are exempt in KY), wood, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Just a comment on the reference to use tax on out of state purchases, or for that matter, in state purchases. Many states, and apparently including Arkansas, provide an exemption for equipment used in manufacturing or processing. If one sells a product manufactured/processed on a lathe, it may be exempt. I provide exemption certificates when I buy some tools (not all are exempt in KY), wood, etc.
    Very good point, John, and a discussion worthy of its own thread. Depending on the particular state, the "manufacturing and processing" sales and use tax exemption may be available to SMC members who can qualify as bona fide manufacturers. Professional woodturners, probably. Serious hobbyists, maybe. A good rule of thumb in states that have use tax (nearly all do) is: If the purchase wouldn't qualify for an exemption from sales tax at your local bricks and mortar vendor, e.g., Woodcraft, you would most likely be obligated to self-report and pay use tax (both state and local) on the same piece of equipment purchased from an out-of-state vendor who does not collect sales tax of an equal or greater amount. Tax authorities in many states are becoming more aggressive in tracking deliveries by interstate carriers to in-state addresses. Tax bills can follow, and the consequences can be expensive, after the addition of interest and penalties!
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 11-26-2015 at 12:24 PM.

The best place to buy a lathe is always the want-ads. It takes a lot of patience and you may have to handle the delivery yourself. In 2008 I bought an eight month old PM 3520B for $1800 and rented a U-Haul trailer for $72 to get it home. Lathes depreciate very slowly and since turners tend to be old guys, lathes are always coming on the market.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.