Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which apply first? Face frame or back panel on cabinetry

Which apply first? Face frame or back panel on cabinetry

I'm building a couple built in shelf units 30"w x 12"d x 96" high, constructed out of 3/4" maple ply. Face frame will be 3/4" poplar and back panel 1/4" maple ply. My question, does it really matter which is installed first, the face frame or the back panel?

Typically the back panel squares up the cabinet box. Therefore I install it first and then the face frame.

Agree with Bill McNiel. I was taught to install the back panel when the carcass is glued, screwed, nailed, etc., together as the back panel strengthens the carcass, adds rigidity, and squares it up. Leave clamped to cure the glue, then remove clamps after glue has set up and install the face frame last.

which ever way makes it easier for you. you might have to put a clamp inside the case, for example.

I glue on all the face frames, so often I have internal architecture with which a back would interfere during glue up. I make the frames square, get the boxes as square as possible, and proceed accordingly depending on the cabinet in question. If it's a big open box with just a perimeter frame, definetly backs on first. On a box like a vanity with lots of little drawers, might require backs later. A square back isn't going to fix a botched frame, so accuracy is important at every step, the order of assembly follows no hard rules for me.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

I build my face frames square and assemble with pocket screws and build the cabinet to fit the face frame. Doing it this way have your choice to assemble including the face frame then install the back or just use the face frame to assemble but not glue on until later.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Fellows, thanks for the comments on this. I've always thought attaching the back panel first was the "normal" order of construction but read an article by a cabinet pro that said he installed face frames first. That got me to questioning if it really makes any difference which goes on first as long as both are square. Again thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Typically the back panel squares up the cabinet box. Therefore I install it first and then the face frame.
    +1. I do the same for the same reasons.

I, too follow the back first method, but emphasize that proper carcass construction dictates that every step along the way which contributes to the final outcome, be undertaken with precision. Assuming the cabinet you're making is to be square, cutting every piece square and true will do much to facilitate success. Joinery, too, needs to be precisely machined - whether by hand tools or machinery.

Finally, the glue-up and clamping needs to be done carefully to ensure the carcass is not drawn out of square - on all planes.
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

Face frame first. It's much easier and more accessible. In many cases when attaching FF to cabinet, I need to pass the clamps thru the cabinet, especially when doing complex frames. It is important to ensure cabinet it laying flat on level bench or saw horses. Sometimes, but rarely, I need to attach a diagonal brace to back of cabinet to keep it square. Backs go on afterwards, often temporarily, before fitting doors and drawers and whatever ever that needs to be done before finishing. It's much easier to do finishing inside cabinets with backs removed.

Self-evident, but if you are installing the face frame after the cabinet boxes have been set into place you need to put the backs on first. One of the benefits of DIY cabinetry is being able to eliminate the seams between cabinets.

Quote Originally Posted by roger wiegand View Post
    Self-evident, but if you are installing the face frame after the cabinet boxes have been set into place you need to put the backs on first. One of the benefits of DIY cabinetry is being able to eliminate the seams between cabinets.
    I install face frames last for exactly the reason you stated.

If you spray the finish, it's easier to leave the backs off, and assemble after everything is dry.

I spray my cabinets before installing the back so I always put the face frame on first. I screw corner braces to the back edge of the cabs to hold them square that are removed before installing the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill McNiel View Post
    Plenty of cabinets don't have backs or have backs that aren't ply or as easy to make square as ply. I think it would be best to make the cabinet square and then glue a square face frame to it. Put the ply back on last.