Thread: Regarding Jet White paint

Regarding Jet White paint

This forum and others has recommended either Rustoleum gloss canvas white or Krylon Gloss Ivory. I bought them both and can say that the Rustoleum is too dark and the Krylon is too yellow compared with Stock. I'm not sure if Jet white varies amongst tools or vintage, but both my band saws are within a few years of each other and both are identical in color.

I don't think much can be done with the Krylon since it's a rattle can, but I may buy some Rustoleum gloss white and try various mix ratios with the canvas.

Just a quick idea - have you considered taking a part (door, etc) over to a paint store (home or auto) and having it color matched? I did that once with a machine and it worked pretty well, actually. Perhaps you could make it work for your big bandsaws.

Fred

I used Rustoleum Appliance Ivory to repaint the fence rails. It was close enough for me.
    Guess you could call Jet.

None of my business, but is there a reason why it has to be a perfect match?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Guess you could call Jet.
    ^^^^^ I've read in other forums that you can get paint directly from Jet.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Just a quick idea - have you considered taking a part (door, etc) over to a paint store (home or auto) and having it color matched?...
    +1 ^^^^

Back in the Minimax USA/Texas days, we had a local auto body shop mix some touch-up paint for us from a sample we gave them. It was perfect, and I mean PERFECT. But, we were touching up numerous machines at a time so financially, it made sense to pay them to mix it for us. No clue what the actual cost was but it wad the best color match I've ever seen. You literally could not tell.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

You guys are right, an auto jobber would be the sensible thing to do, but I've ordered a quart of gloss white rustoleum off amazon, and am going to experiment with various mixes. Should be able to get it close enough for a blend into the original paint with a gun. Should be able to reduce the rustoleum with acetone.

I want a good match (don't need perfect) because I have quite a bit of this jwbs-18 to spray now that I've welded in a couple box sections into the upper wheel house. At some point I'll update the other "improving the jwbs-18" thread, but I am distracted by renovating an Ellis horizontal metal cutting bandsaw at the moment.

Good luck Ken! Look forward to seeing an update on those bandsaws.
    Fre

I've used this for a good match.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If you got the quart and are using a gun it may be worth painting the whole machine.
    Don