Thread: Resawing Help

Resawing Help

I'm not a rookie but also not the most experienced at resawing. I have a Grizzly G0513X2, with a Laguna Driftmaster fence, and 3/4" Laguna Resaw King blade (love this combo). I was resawing some ash today. It was about 3" tall. Of coarse on the last board seemed like all of the sudden the blade started chopping/jumping and I couldn't feed anywhere near as fast as the other cuts. Plus it wasn't cutting a perfect straight line like the other cuts. Could the blade be dull? I'm guessing overall I put maybe 200' to 300' of wood maybe 4" tall on average through it. If it's dull where can I get this carbide tooth blade re-sharpened?

Thanks,

Mike

Edit/Add: I had a second Resaw King and put it on and it's doing the same thing. Cutting aggressively then stops - repeats. I checked the guides and all seems fine.
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 11-25-2015 at 2:25 PM.

Don't have a diagnosis as I don't have experience with the Resaw King but was the second one you put on a new blade? I have taken my Lenox Woodmaster CT to Daily Saw Service in South Gate, CA (LA suburb). They charge about $3.50/ft any tpi for carbide tipped.

Sounds like the wood is closing on the blade or you are feeding faster than the gullets can clear out the sawdust.

John

OK - even though I got through my last couple cuts the BS was bothering me. I went and took off all the roller blade guides and cleaned them up well and put everything together. I tried to tension the blade using the flutter method in the manual and recommended by Laguna but it was strange. Grizzly says to tension between 4 & 5 on the scale and back off till it flutters and tighten to stop flutter plus 1/4 turn. It turned out to be about 5-1/2. But the blade or saw was making a resonance noise. So I backed the tension and I was down to 2 on the scale and the blade still was not fluttering (first attempt the flutter became well pronounces at about 3-1/2). I was afraid to de-tension any further. I was learning too much about my BS today. So I tensioned to 5, set up the guides, and tried a cut on a 5-1/2" tall piece of oak and it cut well (I didn't have any ash around to try). So maybe I'm in the clear now - at least I hope I am.

Thanks,

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    Sounds like the wood is closing on the blade or you are feeding faster than the gullets can clear out the sawdust.

John
    I was wondering this too since it only happened on my last board.

My guess is your board wasn't laying flat on the table and the blade was pulling it down flat.Plus the throat plate was flexing.

When the time comes, you can get it resharpened at Laguna. I really liked the finish off the resaw king. It didn't last as long as the lennox wood master. But then, the woodmaster can't (or is difficult to) be resharpened.

Nelson

the times i have felt the blade lurching & jumping i usually find the start of a crack in one of the gullets. then i have it cut out and welded.
    you can download the form for resharpening off of the laguna webiste - it's usually a pretty quick turnaround.
    jerry
    jerry