Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody ever use flooring in furnture?

A friend of mine works in a flooring outlet - and is able to send mis-ordered goods my way. I've made bench tops and kitchen island tops out of it, by cutting off the tongue and groove, planing the finish off, and then laminating - it works great!. As others have pointed out, however - it will chew up your planer knives pretty quickly - so I wait until my knives are nearing their best before date and process a bunch of it.

Others here have pointed out different applications, which I'll definitely be looking into!

I have used solid wood flooring left overs for segmented bowls or other objects.

Hi Dan,
    Yes, I have just completed a six drawer cabinet build using the 3/4" thick hard maple T&G flooring that was excess to my kitchen flooring installation done four years ago. The wood was very high quality, so I saved it for use on a special project. Three sides of the cabinet used the flooring boards and also have inset panels of birdseye maple (not from the flooring). The cabinet is 27' wide x 20" deep x 21" high, and will sit on a special wheeled 4 legged base 24" high which is also made of hard maple. This cabinet is furniture and is a "spool cabinet" like those used in stores of the 1800-early 1900's. All six of the drawers have personalized plate glass inserts in the front related to my wife's business, and this item will be a surprise Christmas present for her. I will post pictures after she receives the gift. I still have boards left over for another tbd project.

Enrico Caruso

Yes sir,not only solid but the laminate type also.And I also use if for counter tops,plus side is it has one tough finish

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Blank View Post
    Be cautious of prefinished flooring. I got some prefinished walnut from a buddy and when planing off the finished surface, it ate up my HSS planer knives and hand plane irons before I figured out what the problem was. There is something very abrasive in the filler they used.
    One finish used on prefinished flooring is aluminum oxide. Another use for aluminum oxide? Sandpaper abrasive. No surprise that finish is hard on HSS.

I have built counter tops for a bar using T&G Fir flooring. I glued and brad nailed them to 3/4" MDF for the backing. Worked out very well so far.

I picked up some unfinished red oak flooring from Lumber Liquidators to use making a coffered ceiling for the downstairs bath.
    Never again.....
    Way too much work for the money.

I can mill rough lumber, that ends up being thicker and straighter, for a whole lot less.

Flooring tends to have a lot of wavy pieces & way too many shorts.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I've used red oak flooring on some of the boxes I make. I rip the t & g off as I tend to router half blind dovetail joints to bring ends together. It's a good way to obtain decent quality boards at a price that won't break the bank.IMG_2364.jpg

We build tables for a restaurant using reclaimed wood. One project used maple gymnasium flooring.
    DSCN2032.jpg
    DSCN2031.jpg
    DSCN2029.jpg
    DSCN2044.jpg
    DSCN2057.jpg