Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Brass

Cutting Brass

Is it possible to cut 2 mm thick brass and what type of Laser and power will it require? I have hundreds of numerals that
    are about 2" tall.

Thanks, Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

A waterjet would be a much better tool for that job, in my opinion.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    A waterjet would be a much better tool for that job, in my opinion.

This ^^^^^. A fiber laser strong enough to do the bulk you're talking about in a reasonable time frame would cost the same as a small house.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    This ^^^^^. A fiber laser strong enough to do the bulk you're talking about in a reasonable time frame would cost the same as a small house.
    I'll take two!
    https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+cost&tbm=shop

A CNC router/mill wouldn't be the worst tool to do the job. You'll want the following: Rigid machine. Spindle. Proper lubrication. Proper tooling. Good hold down.

You likely can buy/build something for under $10,000.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

Quote Originally Posted by Ross Moshinsky View Post
    A CNC router/mill wouldn't be the worst tool to do the job. You'll want the following: Rigid machine. Spindle. Proper lubrication. Proper tooling. Good hold down.

You likely can buy/build something for under $10,000.
    True, but I could send the job to my waterjet guy and have them in less than a week and not have to buy any equipment and the job would be done.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

5kW Fibre
    6kW CO2

Start thinking $850,000 upwards
    You did what !

Out of curiosity what would a suitable water jet set you back? i know its like asking the price range on lasers but anyone here gone down the path of researching prices
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Hair View Post
    Some of those small houses are affordable! Thanks for all the info. Was thinking a waterjet may be the way to go.
    They may need tumbling after that. I have a CNC and have cut plenty of brass and alum. The issue is now to hold them down.

Robert
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Clague View Post
    Out of curiosity what would a suitable water jet set you back? i know its like asking the price range on lasers but anyone here gone down the path of researching prices

$30k up Jack for a cheaper Chinese, running costs are high as is noise though
    You did what !

Dang, my Kern will only cut 1mm brass. If there's a 1000 watt out there, that'd probably do it.

Good luck!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    $30k up Jack for a cheaper Chinese, running costs are high as is noise though
    Not to bad, might have to add a waterjet to my lottery wish list LOL
    Half Kiwi, Half Pom, All Crazy
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 80W (1.5" + 2.5" Lens)
    Harsh Environment Kit, Rotary Attachment

Atmos Compact Exhaust, CorelDraw X7

Oxygen-cutting is preferable when cutting brass and other copperalloys with CO2 lasers. Oxygen is better suited as a cutting gas, as theoxide layer at the cut front improves absorption of the laser beam.Both low oxygen pressures of up to 6 bar (85 psi) and high oxygenpressures of up to 20 bar (300 psi) are used. When cutting brass at highoxygen pressures of up to 20bar (300psi), proper ventilation of theworking area must be provided to avoid dangerous enrichment of theatmosphere with oxygen. The maximum sheet thickness that can be cutis 4–5mm (0.16–0.20 in). Sometimes, high-pressure nitrogen is also usedto cut copper alloys.
    Page 18

https://www.boconline.co.uk/internet...g410_39413.pdf
    You did what !

50 watt fiber galvo will cut 0.7 mm brass in a reasonable amount of time at 100% power but cut quality isn't great
    100 watts or less is really for engraving only
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h24bxNzBYm8

For cutting you'd want 500 to 1000 watt fiber dedicated to cutting only, don't think you'd be able to do any engraving with a machine like this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7bhv3ynnrw
    -
    BIG Sandblaster, 100 lb Empire Pot with Footswitch
    80 Gallon Polar Air Compressor
    Frankenstein'd Blast Cabinet
    "Go Deep or Go Home... when you're engraving..."

Kern Laser Systems has some options for cutting metal with their machines.