Thread: Just received a Sargeant #409 - need tote screw

Just received a Sargeant #409 - need tote screw

Hey Folks,

I just received a very nice Sargeant #409 smoother. It is in great shape, except the front tote 's screw is not holding. The screw hole on the plane body looks fine, I just think the screw in the tote and its extension either broke at some point or were never right. Regardless, I am not able to check with any of my other planes, being at work... ( should have "bring your plane to work days"). Can anyone tell me if the screw and "insert" at the top, for want of a better term, are interchangeable with Stanleys? This is my first Seargent plane. (I hope its gentle...).

Thanks everyone. Have a quiet and warm holiday, stuff yourself with Thanksgiving goodness, and remember to think about how lucky we all are to be able to spend any part of our time on our hobby. Its a good life!

Joe

Blog Entries
    What a day to have need of a part for a plane.

Only two of my planes are Sargeant, iirc, and one of them is a transitional. If I get out to the shop and remember I can check my Sargeant router to see what it has for threads.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I believe the Stanley threads are #12-20 and Sargents are #12-24.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Wease View Post
    I believe the Stanley threads are #12-20 and Sargents are #12-24.
    12-24 is easier to find in a modern catalog.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)