Thread: Combination plane box

Combination plane box

I am going to build a box to hold a Sargent 1080 (similar to Stanley 45). I have some ideas, but rather than reinvent the wheel, does anyone have the dimensions or layout of one of the wooden boxes they originally were sold in? All things being equal I would rather end up with something modeled on the original boxes. If anybody would be willing to PM me a couple of photos and measurements I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Nick

I would strongly suggest NOT replicating the original box -- there are many user-designed boxes out there which allow storing the plane without assembling/disassembling it every single time it's used.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bailey View Post
    I would strongly suggest NOT replicating the original box -- there are many user-designed boxes out there which allow storing the plane without assembling/disassembling it every single time it's used.
    +1 on this.

My Stanley 55 has the original box and requires disassembling the plane to put it away. My Stanley 45s all rest on a shelf for ease of access and use.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't we wish we could work that fast!

I do believe that making a specialty box would be better. You could store the plane much more safely.
    By that, I mean the parts would not be knocking together, causing scratches and therefore places for rust to start.
    I plan to build a specialty box for mine in the near future.
    You never get the answer if you don't ask the question.

Joe

003 (640x480).jpgI used to value such tool boxes, but finally got to the point where being stored safe from rust became most important. My 55's are in one of these with a silica gel canister, as are over a hundred other small tool categories. These boxes are water and moisture tight. They are all marked, and stored in cubbies. Anything in them can sit for years even, and be perfectly fine when I need it. http://www.lowes.com/pd_6513-46921-0...AID=1368004092

A good day to get some work done around the shop.

Thanks to all for the advice. The design was pretty ad hoc, just looking to put something useful together while trying out a couple of new approaches I am thinking about for future projects. Bottom is set in rabbets, and then nailed in with some cut nails that somehow ended up being delivered with the last Lee Valley free shipping sale. I have not used cut nails before, and I like them. The sides are just mitered, with splines for reinforcement. We'll see how it holds up.

The plane fits pretty nicely, with slots for the cutters. Not being able to find the cutter I want in the canvas roll they came in was the major incentive to put this together.

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg