Thread: Custom Laser Cut Wood Elk Floor Medallion

Custom Laser Cut Wood Elk Floor Medallion

Let me know what you think of this Elk floor medallion. There is over 400 individually cut pieces that are used to create this custom Elk Floor medallion. I used 3mm Baltic birch and burnished each piece individually to give the different pieces contrasting color. After assembly this floor medallion was coated with an epoxy resin to achieve the glass like finish. The finished product measures 24" in diameter. This wood elk medallion was created with an 80 watt CNC laser cutting system that I have owned for approximately 3 months.
    Elk Floor Medallion 1.jpg This is the finished product! I hope you like it

Sincerely,
    Jason Henry

The pictures below represent the start and finish of the elk floor medallion displayed. The first pictures is a design mock up done prior to cutting the Baltic birch with the CNC laser. The next couple of pictures show the detail of the fire burnished pieces in progression.
    Elk Floor Medallion 5.jpgElk Floor Medallion 6.jpgElk Floor Medallion 3.jpgElk Floor Medallion 4.jpgElk Floor Medallion 1.jpg

I like it! Nice work.
    Ed.

Wow...stunning.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks for commenting!

Very cool idea! (And now one more thing I need to add to my long list of things to try!) Thanks for sharing!
    Mike Schnorr
    CNCs - Camaster Stinger (25"x36"x5"), Shopbot (4'x4'), Roland Modela (6"x8"x2 3/8")
    Laser Engravers - Epilog Legend (12"x24" - 25W)
    Embroidery Machines - SWF t1501C, Brother BAS-416, Renaissance, Melco EMC1, Melco EP1