Thread: Another reminder, not that anyone needs it

Another reminder, not that anyone needs it

Been a rough couple of weeks. Found out I have to have shoulder replacement surgery and that I have a lower back issue, disc problem. Have been really in the dumps and feeling sorry for myself...hate getting older and the idea of losing time in the shop just bothers me so much. Last night I decided to spend some time on the lathe, just creating, no customer order, just me time. Then it happened, I got a bad catch that threw my big gouge back and the next thing I know I'm in the emergency room with a lateral break that goes into the knuckle. I now have to have surgery on the hand and have a screw put in. I was doing everything by the book, it just happened. I am so upset with myself and so depressed....not to mention my left hand is twice it's normal size.

Be careful folks, stuff happens and it's not fun

Scott - very sorry to hear that you have been going through a rough patch! Hope your hand heals quickly and that your shoulder surgery goes well and you can get back to doing the things you love real soon!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I don't know if misery really does love company, but I sort of feel your pain ... or more accurately, I can't feel pain or anything else in my legs. It sure does take the wind out of your sails. A couple weeks ago when I started to hop out of bed in the morning, my legs just went numb and folded up. So, now I am mostly doing sit down stuff. It probably wouldn't be too safe for me to try standing at the lathe very long.

But, chin up, Scott. These things are just bumps in the road. We'll muddle through somehow. The worst thing in the world is feeling sorry for yourself. Do something that takes your mind off your own situation. I went through this about 23 years ago when I suddenly could barely walk or use my hands. It took several months before I was diagnosed with multiple sclerosis and there wasn't any treatment at the time. I was in a deep dark funk for several months until my wife pushed me into doing things to get me out of the "woe is me" syndrome. Simple things like an entertaining movie, a exciting football game, a book, things that made me laugh. Suddenly, I discovered that I felt so much better when I allowed myself to not be defined by my physical condition. Over time I regained full use of my body and even went on some really difficult backpacking trips in the Gila Wilderness for many years afterwards. The body has an amazing ability to heal itself if you put your mind to it. Good luck.
    Bill

The shoulder and the hand can be fixed. Its your back you need to be concerned about.

I've suffered for 25 years from back issues stemming from getting hurt by a horse.

Losing weight (if you need to), getting regular exercise are really necessary.

Also, you can check into white starches many doctors believe they feed the inflammatory/pain cascade in the body.

I would just push through the surgeries and rehab and be patient and keep a PMA (positive mental attitude).

My philosphy is no matter what life brings, somebody's got it worse than you.

This is a good time to (re) assess your priorities and come to grips with maybe you won't be able to do some things you used to do. Such is life.

Hope all goes well for you with a speedy recovery.

Scott, sorry to hear of your injury. I can easily sympathize with you - - I did something similar in June of this year and shattered (7 pieces) the 2nd bone in my left index finger. Luckily it didn't involve a joint. After they took the cast off they sent me to occupational therapy. Later they had to do a "manipulation" to break some scar tissue that was limiting my range of motion. During all of this I was ordered to baby that hand and not do lifting, etc. That lead to that associated shoulder developing range-of-motion and impingement issues. I just graduated from shoulder PT on Tuesday. I'm trying hard not to have a repeat performance anytime soon.

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Its never fun hearing that the old body is not as young as our minds think we are. Sorry to hear about the medical issues. As Robert says the hand and shoulder can be fixed due to the modern marvels of surgery but our backs and minds need to be looked after.

Later when you think through what happened at the lathe you may find that your mind was still preoccupied with other matters and not 100% on the lathe task. Easy to say but hard not to have our minds wander.

Scott...Like you and others who have also responded, I too have reached that age where stuff just seems to happen. Stay positive my brother...I've had a dozen surgeries in life (mostly sports related) and learned that our recovery is at least 90% how we approach it mentally. Hang in there and please keep us posted on your progress back to full health and return to turning. Keep busy...especially when you're feeling 'blue'.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. But the old body is resilient and will probably function again--maybe slower. I've been sliding down the hill with Lyme for 30 years but still get out to turn on the good days. Beats wasting away on the sofa.

I was 50 years old when I landed up in a wheelchair. A year later, after several surgeries and over 6 months of rehab the Doctors and therapists got me to the point I can get around using a walker. My advice, is straight, blunt and to the point. Do not feel sorry for yourself, it won't help one bit, all it will do is make you miserable and make the people around you miserable.

10. I am so sorry to hear about your accident. Aging does suck especially when our minds are still 18. I recently posted a detailed account of a bowl hitting me in the head. My accident was because I was tired and making mistakes. Yours was an example of doing things right but it still happened which just proves that woodworking is inherently dangerous. Don't be down on yourself and don't feel sorry for yourself. That does not help and studies show it even slows the healing process. Sometimes our accidents lead to little miracles. When I had mine, the CAT SCAN showed a tumor I the front right lobe. So I go in on January 8th to have it remove. If not for that accident, i would not have known until i began having seizures. It's terrifying to think that i could have a seizure while driving or even turning. At the very least, we learn from our accidents and move on and become better turners.
    Stay strong and may you heal quickly and get back to turning. It's the best therapy there is.

Jeff

Sorry to hear your hurting. I hope all goes well with the healing. Try to find a bright spot and hang on to it till you get better and you will get better.
    faust

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Brandstetter View Post
    Have been really in the dumps and feeling sorry for myself...
    Scott, you are both brave and wise to admit you are struggling; that is a good start to recovery. Your SMC friends have offered you some sage advice. I find three things help when I am down: exercise, sunshine, and choosing to be content in my situation. It's been several years since I retired from medical practice, so this consultation is free -- and it is worth exactly what you paid for it.
    Charles

Thanks for all of the messages, I really appreciate it. I was really down but going to get moving again. See the Doc about the hand on Tuesday, it will be fixed and all things considered, a minor setback. Decided to get out for a bit today and noticed my costco had these 1 inch thick pads that I think are supposed to be used in front of the sink, I am going to buy several and place them in front of the machines and work bench. Adding the pads along with getting better shoes for support, I am going to give my back every chance I can. The shoulder surgery is what it is. The Dr told me to put it off as long as I can stand it, because odds are I will need a tune up (my words, not his; cant remember what he called it) in approx 15 years.

I do know that I am blessed considering what others are dealing with or have dealt with. Thanks again for the support

I hope you have a speedy recovery. If you can skip the shoulder surgery, I'd do it. I had a torn rotator cuff and had surgery to fix it. I wound up excacerberating it by doing some woodworking. Good luck
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin