Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to cut really small strips for toys?

Blog Entries

How to cut really small strips for toys?

I have been making some wooden toy trucks which can require some very small strips. Currently I need to cut some 1/8 wide x 1/16 thick strips and my table saw doesn't work so well , so far , for these.
    Any suggestions how how to do this ( safely) ?
    thanks
    Dennis

Hi Dennis, I would use a sharp knife and a straight edge...............Rod.

I've had success with this. YMMV:
    1. Get a board several inches wide x 3/4" thick x 18" long.
    2. Set the fence so you have 1/16" of material on the waste side of the cut. This produces a strip that is 1/16" x 3/4" x 18". Reset the fence to produce another 1/16" piece of "waste" and cut again. Repeat until I have enough.
    3. Use a sharp knife to cut the material you just produced in step #2 into 1/8" strips. I get 5-6 pieces out of each piece.

You can make step 2 faster if you clamp a short board, etc to the waste side of the cut, as a "stop". Just be very careful to keep the end of that stop a few inches below/before the blade or you risk pinching the wood and getting a kickback.

Hope this makes sense. Happy Thanksgiving!
    Fred

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have been making some wooden toy trucks which can require some very small strips. Currently I need to cut some 1/8 wide x 1/16 thick strips and my table saw doesn't work so well , so far , for these.
    Any suggestions how how to do this ( safely) ?
    thanks
    I've used these to make some really thin stuff.

http://www.microjig.com/product-category/grr-ripper/

http://www.microjig.com/videos/grr-ripper-videos/

Blog Entries
    This is a perfect job for the tablesaw. As you have noticed, a good setup and proper blade are important. If these can be rough you could use the bandsaw instead. You could also use the bandsaw, cut over-size and sand to desired final thickness. Maybe a rig like so on the DP? Of course now the DP must be setup well so this may lead you back to the tablesaw issue. I'd just get my tablesaw dialed in and enjoy the benefit on all my work going forward.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rockler sells a "Thin Rip Tablesaw Jig".

"This jig allows you to rip thin strips on the left side of the blade, eliminating the danger of pushing narrow strips between the saw and fence. Since the strip is not trapped between the blade and fence, there is also less risk of binding and kickback. It's simple to use; a single knob locks the jig into the miter track and locks your setting at the same time. Ball bearing guide keeps your workpiece firmly against the fence for perfect repeatability. Use the graduated scale to fine-tune for extremely thin strips.
    • Note: Ripping thin strips requires the use of a zero-clearance insert, sold separately.
    • The perfect tool for edging, inlay, bent laminations and more.
    • Solid phenolic for durability.
    • Low-profile miter track clamp locks in at any point along the miter track.
    • Also works great on the bandsaw as a single-point fence for cutting curved slats in multiples.
    • Adjusts from 1-3/8" away from your miter track to 5-11/16" away from your miter track, enough for the thinnest rips
    • Measures 5-1/4"W x 8"L.
    • The jig is stationary, while the fence is moved for each cut.
    • Fits 3/4" W x 3/8" D Miter Tracks"

Rather than buy a thin strip ripping jig why not make one like this http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...in-pieces.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    Rather than buy a thin strip ripping jig why not make one like this http://www.finewoodworking.com/how-t...in-pieces.aspx
    Good idea!

Dennis
    another vote for a thin rip jig I have the rockler works great as advised use it with a zero clearance insert
    yes a shop built will do the same thing
    I build lots of toys this is what I do
    first rip the wood to the thin dimension 1/16 try to use wood with little or no grain pattern then I use a utility knife to get the 1/8 like Rod said
    after building so much small stuff I finally bought a mini table saw 3 inch blade much better for little stuff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post

Nice jig, but I was a bit surprised that he wasn't using a zero clearance insert to cut those thin pieces. He also was getting his left hand a bit close to the blade while it was running and he picked up the piece behind the blade with the saw still running.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I didn't notice the lack of a zero clearance insert but I was also surprised how close his left hand was. I either use a featherboard or keep a push stick in my hand to keep it away from the blade. The jig does work well and unlike some of the other jigs you don't have to move the fence after every cut.

Have a look at this jig, I made one of these and it works very well.
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ips&highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by lawrence dosson View Post
    after building so much small stuff I finally bought a mini table saw 3 inch blade much better for little stuff
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but which mini table saw did you purchase? I'm considering getting one myself.

Gene

Do the pcs. need to be clean (no saw marks)?If so,I would just oversize them with a table saw or bandsaw,then use a veneer/inlay scraper for final dimensioning, I use the Veritas inlay scraper,and it works really well.You can also rig up a simple setup for your block plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Takae View Post
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but which mini table saw did you purchase? I'm considering getting one myself.

Gene
    Gene
    I bought the micro lux mini tilt arbor saw pricey yes also very well made with dust collection ability from micro mark also have used a proxxon very similar
    Lawrence