Thread: How'd I do on my order

How'd I do on my order

The boss lady was in a good mood today. Ordered a Delta 40-460, Nova G3 reversible chuck, Mastercut 5/8 and 1/2 bowl gouges and a Mastercut 18in handle for 1/2 and 5/8's gouges.

Sounds like you will be make some round things for SWMBO. Have fun and enjoy your new toys

"Brownsville", North Queensland, Australia.
    Wendell, It may pay to check which G3 chuck you have ordered as the "Nova G3 Reversible chuck is the next generation smaller geared chuck, with a unique reversible lock function/feature designed exclusively for the NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe"

"Note: If you don't have a NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe you cannot use this chuck. Please instead purchase the standard G3 Chuck."

http://www.teknatool.com/products/ch...reversible.htm

http://www.teknatool.com/products/Ch...a_G3_Chuck.htm
    Last edited by Geoff Whaling; 11-27-2015 at 7:07 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Whaling View Post
    Wendell, It may pay to check which G3 chuck you have ordered as the "Nova G3 Reversible chuck is the next generation smaller geared chuck, with a unique reversible lock function/feature designed exclusively for the NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe"

"Note: If you don't have a NOVA Comet II Midi Lathe you cannot use this chuck. Please instead purchase the standard G3 Chuck."
    There is also a reversible version of the G3 made specifically for Delta, the G-3D (Delta # 40-461). If that's what you've got, you're good-to-go. If you have to go with the stock G3, you'll need a threaded insert to adapt it to the 1"-8 threads on your lathe.

With the stock insert, you don't dare try to use the chuck in reverse--it WILL come loose and make for a bit of unpleasantness. I own two G3 chucks that I use with my Jet midi lathe, and I fixed that problem by drilling/tapping the nut end of the insert for a couple of 1/4-20 setscrews. I've used them extensively for the past 3 years and the only problen I had was when I forgot to tighten the setscrew when mounting the chuck.

You're gonna love the G3--it's the perfect chuck for midi-size lathes. If you're so inclined, you can also adapt it to use the Nova Infinity system for quick-changing jaws. I've worked mine hard and they've performed well.

Enjoy your new toys/tools!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

Well I thought I clicked on the right link for the Delta version of the Nova G3, can anyone tell me if this insert is the correct one ? Thanks in advance .

http://www.amazon.com/1-1-8-TPI-RH-I...G1EH2EJM78CCXM

If you bought the 46-460, the spindle size is 1"X 8TPI. The Amazon link is to the larger 1.25"X 8TPI insert, which would fit the Jet 1642 and the PM, among others.

Thanks Mr. Keeton. Is it possible to use thread locker on this insert so that it will now back out for those who want to use it in reverse ?

The "backing out" is more likely to occur between the insert and spindle. You do not want to use anything there that would "lock" those threads. The chuck will have a set screw that will lock against the insert. The insert should also have a set screw that will lock down on the spindle. I sand in reverse without the set screw, but not aggressively and I wouldn't turn without it.

Oh okay, I was thinking the inserts were coming loose from the chuck. I believe I found the correct insert. http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-IDNS-1-In...ords=Nova+idns

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Wendell Steele View Post
    Oh okay, I was thinking the inserts were coming loose from the chuck. I believe I found the correct insert. http://www.amazon.com/NOVA-IDNS-1-In...ords=Nova+idns

Thank you for your help.
    That's the right insert, but it doesn't have the necessary setscrew to lock it to the spindle. I fixed that by drilling and tapping it for a setscrew. I'll post a photo when I get into the shop later today.

D.

I shaved my head.

Here's a picture of one of my G3 chucks with the same insert. I drilled and tapped for a pair of 1/4-20 set screws, but in retrospect one will do the job.

Enjoy!

D.image.jpg

I shaved my head.

Wendall, just make sure on any set screw that presses against threads that you use a fiber insert or a lead shot. Hopefully, both will bear against the unthreaded portion.

Here is the 1X8 (Insert X rather than Insert D) that already has the set screw.
    http://www.amazon.com/Insert-SETSCRE...=Nova+insert+x

The product data says..This insert has a set screw to lock the insert to your lathe spindle for reverse turning. VERY IMPORTANT: This is only to be used on lathes with a register behind the spindle to lock the set screw to. Do not use on a lathe which will require you to lock the set screw to the threads - it will cause the chuck to wobble.
    In the one picture I found it appears the 46-460 has a flat (unthreaded) area at the headstock. Maybe someone can verify that has a 46-460. Since Nova makes the G3-D chuck for Delta the X insert should fit.
    Last edited by Michael Mills; 11-28-2015 at 2:49 PM.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe