Thread: Black Friday....and Shoppers

Black Friday....and Shoppers

I hope any of you willing to venture out into Black Friday have a sense of humor. I had to purchase a few things at Home Depot this morning and it was full of some of the pushiest, rudest, self-inflated folks I have ever seen in there. One woman even scoffed and asked me, "who comes here to buy wood?"

All the rude people come out early on Black Friday, you are excluded from the rude people.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

"who comes here to buy wood?
    Well, I've had some reactions like that here on SMC when I made the mistake of saying I bought some birch plywood from a borg.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Well, I've had some reactions like that here on SMC when I made the mistake of saying I bought some birch plywood from a borg.
    I wanted to be the first to say something like that but Kent beat me to it.

OK, I'll get my coat, it's the one with the sawdust in the bottom of the pockets...

-Tom

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I hope any of you willing to venture out into Black Friday have a sense of humor. I had to purchase a few things at Home Depot this morning and it was full of some of the pushiest, rudest, self-inflated folks I have ever seen in there. One woman even scoffed and asked me, "who comes here to buy wood?"
    It will likely be like this until January 1st.

I was thinking of going to Costco since they do not have black Friday sales. It will also likely be full of people stocking up.

Maybe the one out on the coast so there are less people in general.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    One woman even scoffed and asked me, "who comes here to buy wood?"
    Bwaa-haa-haa; that's great! I need an outside door to replace the side door on the shop since I am house painting. I was all dressed to go out to the BORG and pick one up "real quick", realized what day it was and poured another cup of coffee and headed to the shop instead ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    We went out today. Traffic was a bit more than normal, but no worse than a typical work day. We went to three places, including Home Depot to pick up a GFIC for the outside Christmas lights. Plenty of people in the stores, the ones we encountered were polite and we walked right up to the register in the two places we purchased stuff with no waiting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

We got about 6" of snow last night so that should have kept a lot of folks home locally.

1st time ever for me on black friday yesterday. But menards had a couple of things I wanted so I gritted my teeth and went. The line was around the store and the B-dubs next door. I parked in the bank lot farthest away from the store but right at the end of the line. The ladies behind me were amped up over the line jumpers she percieved to see waiting on the other side of the snow fencing blocking the entrance making them the closest to any fight that I got. Seems very few shoppers were there for the tool and home improvement items I was shopping for so it went well. In and out in 10 minutes. Most were there for toys, tablets, and dog beds. GIANT dog beds
    Last edited by Mike Cozad; 11-28-2015 at 10:01 AM.

I don't get the allure of buying cheaply made crap on Black Friday. Black Friday used to be about selling 5 or 10 doorbusters at each store that were good name brand high quality items and the store really was losing money on these items.

Now, stores have most goods made just for Black Friday doorbusters that are poorly made crap and probably not even worth what you pay for them. It is really a doorbuster if the store has hundreds of the item and they don't even sell out on Black Friday? Kohl's still had almost every doorbuster item still in stock a full 24 hours after they opened the doors.

Last year Home depot was still clearing out some Black Friday items in January. Some shoppers got $99 Ryobi batteries for $29 at the end of the clearance.

Blog Entries
    Last year Home depot was still clearing out some Black Friday items in January. Some shoppers got $99 Ryobi batteries for $29 at the end of the clearance.
    That's why I am waiting for "OMG! We still have all this crap Saturday" sales on December 26th.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I don't get the allure of buying cheaply made crap on Black Friday. Black Friday used to be about selling 5 or 10 doorbusters at each store that were good name brand high quality items and the store really was losing money on these items.

Now, stores have most goods made just for Black Friday doorbusters that are poorly made crap and probably not even worth what you pay for them. It is really a doorbuster if the store has hundreds of the item and they don't even sell out on Black Friday? Kohl's still had almost every doorbuster item still in stock a full 24 hours after they opened the doors.

They are selling to a new kind of customer that acts like a 3 year old trying to control all their toys. The customers say "this is mine" and "this and this and THAT is mine too". They look through the ads before the sale and then have to claim their stuff before someone else does.