Thread: source for recessed low voltage led spotlights

source for recessed low voltage led spotlights

To use for under cabinet lighting. Dimmable, and I need technical advice as well. TIA

You might look at LED tapes for undercabinet lighting. Lee Valley sells the stuff, and has a fair amount of background info too. http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...,70322&p=70323 Read the pdf called Getting Started Guide linked from that page.

try outwater.com

Wurth /Baer supply,Menards has them if you want to go local.

Make sure you understand dimable for what you select. I thought you could just use a dimable light switch with mine. I should have known better. Also if you have a lighting store, visit as there are many varieties of "light" that can be emitted. You may buy elsewhere, but you can educate you on all the variations. They should have displays set up.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    To use for under cabinet lighting. Dimmable, and I need technical advice as well. TIA
    Spots/Floods vs. tape lights depends on what effect you want. If you want uninterrupted light the tape lights are very good. If you want 'pools' of light which can also be attractive then lamps. I did our undercounter lighting when dimmable LEDs were just becoming available. There wasn't much choice in dimmers and what was available was bulky and didn't work for our purposes. I did a bit of research and bought rolled LED tapes from Amazon. For dimming I used wire wound 100 ohm resistors from Radio Shack. I also used a single pole double throw center off switch from Radio Shack. When the switch is in one position power is going directly from the 12 volt power supply to the lights. When the switch is in the other position power is going through the resistors then to the lights. The resistors create the dimming effect. We've had this setup for a few years now and so far so good. It's not as power efficient as something like PWM dimming but LEDs use so little electricity compared to incandescent or halogen lights that I didn't worry about warming resistors.

Outwater.com! thanks!
    These cabinets have removable flush bottoms, and I think recessed spot lights will look/work the best. I want to mount one power supply in the basement below the kitchen & run Low voltage wiring up to the lighting in the kitchen. This requires the lights to be wired in a series, and not all lights can be done this way.
    Last edited by jim mills; 11-28-2015 at 9:54 AM.

Pucks: http://outwatermastercatalog.com/lg_...Master_Catalog
    Strips: http://outwatermastercatalog.com/lg_...Master_Catalog

The pucks are nice as they don't need mortising. There are other LED tape lights out there but the above ones come with a lens for diffusing.

Thanks! Some claim to be dimmable, others dont say. I hope they have good customer support. I will call Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by jim mills View Post
    I had some projects going that required quantity orders of different types of lighting, some LED. Spent some time searching for lowest prices. For the LED lights I want to say superbrightleds.com was where I purchased. Might be worth checking out

Check out banggood.com and aliexpress.com I have ordered leds from them, they take a few weeks to come in but great prices. Straight from China

Outwater.com has a good selection of lighting, but offers no technical support. They cant even tell me which ones are dimmable! My local supplier offers Hera led lighting, but $$$$$$....wow. Don't think I need to spend a couple grand on under cabinet lighting.