Thread: Takashima Jnat Stone

Takashima Jnat Stone

I'm starting to get comfortable with the Takashima stone for my finishing stone. For now my sequence depending on the condition of the iron is: Set the bevel with either a 600 or a 1200 Atoma. Remove most of the diamond plate scratches and raise a small wire edge with a Washia then move on to the Jnats. Set up the Takashima finish stone with the Brick aka a Ikarashi. The slurry makes a big difference, it needs to be Goldilocks, not too much but also not too little.

I've had a set of Kikahiromaru #1 White Paper chisels for several months. When they first arrived I set up a couple or three as needed to work and the rest have been sitting until I could find some time to work on 'em. Time I found the last couple of days and i've been beavering away on the rest of the chisels.

Here is one I just finished:

ken

Looks like a nice cloudy mirror finish. Can you compare it to any synthetic stone you have?

Blog Entries
    Nice work Ken, the bevel is looking great. Have you tried raising a slurry with the 1200 atoma?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by David Wong View Post
    Looks like a nice cloudy mirror finish. Can you compare it to any synthetic stone you have?
    David,

To answer your question I pulled out a Shapton Pro 5000 and a Gukumyo 20000 to replace the Jnats in the sequence. I made sure the bevel was flat on the Atoma's and set the Koyamalichi White Paper #2 up on the Washita. I'm not sure I kept the bevel flat on the synthetic s but I tried. I also tried several different angles and light directions to get a good photo of the Koyamalichi's bevel but no joy. It is a shinny sucker, the Gukumyo will put a shine on your bevel.

Under a 10X lope the Shapton-Gukumyo left some scratches but with a high polish between them. If I had put another stone between the Washita and the Shapton it might have taken care of the deeper scratches but I tried to keep about the same steps as used on the Jnats. The Jnat finished chisel as you can see from the photo has a nice smooth matt finish over the whole bevel.

Neither chisel has felt the touch of wood after this sharpening but from appearance I expect both are sharp. I also expect the Jnat sharpened chisel will remain working sharp longer but that could be just my bias.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    David,

To answer your question I pulled out a Shapton Pro 5000 and a Gukumyo 20000 to replace the Jnats in the sequence. I made sure the bevel was flat on the Atoma's and set the Koyamalichi White Paper #2 up on the Washita. I'm not sure I kept the bevel flat on the synthetic s but I tried. I also tried several different angles and light directions to get a good photo of the Koyamalichi's bevel but no joy. It is a shinny sucker, the Gukumyo will put a shine on your bevel.

Under a 10X lope the Shapton-Gukumyo left some scratches but with a high polish between them. If I had put another stone between the Washita and the Shapton it might have taken care of the deeper scratches but I tried to keep about the same steps as used on the Jnats. The Jnat finished chisel as you can see from the photo has a nice smooth matt finish over the whole bevel.

Neither chisel has felt the touch of wood after this sharpening but from appearance I expect both are sharp. I also expect the Jnat sharpened chisel will remain working sharp longer but that could be just my bias.

ken
    Forgot to post the photo :

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Nice work Ken, the bevel is looking great. Have you tried raising a slurry with the 1200 atoma?
    Brian,

An earlier reply must have been eaten by the internet gods so here goes again....Thanks, I haven't used the chisel but the edge looks and feels very good. I haven't used the Atoma to flatten or raise a slurry yet. So far I've just been using the Shapton and/or nagura on the stones.

I've almost finished flattening the back of the last of the Kikuhiromaru chisels. Being old and having the O.F. sleep pattern, it is good to have iron that needs work when you awake in the early A.M.. BTW, they really are a chisel "kit" when the UPS girl drops 'em at your door, worth the effort but....

ken

ken

Blog Entries
    Hah, I have to think that I must also really enjoy flattening chisel backs since I keep buying new ones. The 1200 atoma should make a nice fine slurry, so it's good on the finish stone.

i've been using the 400 atoma on my Tsushima stone, then 1200 on the suita and Nakayama.

On the Konobu, the backs are absolutely wonderful looking, but still require a lot of work, more than most. The bevels, on the other hand, have been pretty spot on and all clocking in at about 25 degrees.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 11-29-2015 at 9:14 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.