Thread: Should I or Shouldn't I

Should I or Shouldn't I

For the past few months I have been agonizing over what new tool(s) I should acquire for mortise and tenon joints. I have had CraigsList alert in place for "mortise" hoping PM 701 would show up but have not been successful. Yesterday I responded to Black Friday ad and drove to Seattle arriving at 8:00 am to buy a new PM 701 and chisels. Unfortunately I was too late. Their doors opened at 7 and they sold the only one they had for sale. Wouldn't sell me the floor model. Wouldn't bargain if I purchased one out of their next large order that would be placed in the near future.

Feeling bad on my way home I stopped at a tool place I had done business with before. I had been watching their web page for a mortiser and had checked the night before. They didn't list any. However, when I walked in their door, I saw a new PM 701 sitting on a bench. Turns out it was waiting for a plastic part that was cracked. I offered to fix it if they would sell it to me. The part was on order and they were waiting for it so they could replace the broken part and then sell it. I ended up with the 701 and 3 chisels for $350. I was so happy and relieved that the day turned out so well and now I could quit looking for a mortiser.

Then, this morning I received CraigsList alert for mortiser. I looked at it and it is for Leigh FMT Pro Frame Mortiser and Tenon Jig for $150. Lightly used on one project and looks like it includes a Milwaukee router.

Should I or shouldn't I. Maybe someone will go buy it and take me out of my misery because I don't know what to do. I should just get it quick but had sort of decided on how I was going to do mortise and tenon and don't want to start rethinking that again. It wouldn't take much to get me to go after it. It is in Seattle area.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 11-28-2015 at 11:20 AM.

At that price I would buy it just so someone else didn't get it for that price. LOL!

I would use them both in different applications so given the chance I would own both.

Keith, that is what is bothering me. At that price, I should just get it and then maybe sell the 701 but the 701 might be more versatile in that it can do deeper mortises and I am very limited on space. I am constantly looking around for how to get more shop space. However, a bargain like this is hard to pass up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    For the past few months I have been agonizing over what new tool(s) I should acquire for mortise and tenon joints. I have had CraigsList alert in place for "mortise" hoping PM 701 would show up but have not been successful. Yesterday I responded to Black Friday ad and drove to Seattle arriving at 8:00 am to buy a new PM 701 and chisels. Unfortunately I was too late. Their doors opened at 7 and they sold the only one they had for sale. Wouldn't sell me the floor model. Wouldn't bargain if I purchased one out of their next large order that would be placed in the near future.

Feeling bad on my way home I stopped at a tool place I had done business with before. I had been watching their web page for a mortiser and had checked the night before. They didn't list any. However, when I walked in their door, I saw a new PM 701 sitting on a bench. Turns out it was waiting for a plastic part that was cracked. I offered to fix it if they would sell it to me. The part was on order and they were waiting for it so they could replace the broken part and then sell it. I ended up with the 701 and 3 chisels for $350. I was so happy and relieved that the day turned out so well and now I could quit looking for a mortiser.

Then, this morning I received CraigsList alert for mortiser. I looked at it and it is for Leigh FMT Pro Frame Mortiser and Tenon Jig for $150. Lightly used on one project and looks like it includes a Milwaukee router.

Should I or shouldn't I. Maybe someone will go buy it and take me out of my misery because I don't know what to do. I should just get it quick but had sort of decided on how I was going to do mortise and tenon and don't want to start rethinking that again. It wouldn't take much to get me to go after it. It is in Seattle area.
    Holy Cow! That's like 1/10th the cost of a new one, without a router.

You keep waiting and it will be gone!!

Red
    RED

Youd better pick that up or I will!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Surely you jest. You already have it, don't you?

If not, someone else has probably snapped it up by now.

Your question is akin to asking if you should leave a burning building.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Just as a word of caution, beware craigslist scams. A ridiculously low price is often the sign of one. Let us know if you get it or not.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

If you buy and try out the FMT I'll bet you sell the 701 before you sell the FMT. The accuracy and repeatability of the FMT jig is amazing.

Charley

For those who might wonder what happened.

Today is a new day and I am kicking myself for not picking up the phone and then jumping in the car as soon as I got the alert yesterday morning for the FMT ......

I hope someone from Sawmill Creek got it.

I am curious if the advertised price was a typo or it the whole thing was a scam. I don't think it was a scam but you never know. The too good to be true makes one wonder.

Buy it, use both and then figure out which one doesn't really fit your work. Get rid of the other one and count your blessings.
    Best regards,

Ron

You haven't really been lost until you've been lost at Mach 2!

Seriously OP I wouldnt be surprised at all if that was either a price mistake or a scam. Dont kick yourself, you probably just saved yourself a headache.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one your with.

Deals and savings evaporate in our memories. Assuming you can afford what you own, all that matters is how well and easy your tool performs. Your PM will be a great spouse. Love her and treat her right!

I had both and sold the FMT. Very happy.
    Paul