Thread: What is the best 90 degree joint for...

What is the best 90 degree joint for...

...carcass construction if I am doweling the joint with Miller's Dowels? Is it a butt joint? A rabbeted joint? Some other interlocked joint?

After several frustrating attempts to use plywood and not liking the joints, I have decided to use hardwood on my tool cabinet carcass instead. Just got back from Macbeaths with a nice load of maple. I am gluing up some maple for the carcass, but I am not sure what to do about the joints for the top and bottom of the carcass. I am leaning towards cutting a rabbet and then doweling into it.

Also - is there some rule on how many dowels to use for 3/4 stock into 3/4 stock? The carcass is 13 1/4 inches wide. I was thinking maybe 5 dowels spaced evenly across the side, although I think 3 would be more aesthetically appealing. I don't know how much strength the dowels bring to the equation, if any at all. It is my understanding that a good coat of glue in the rabbet will be plenty strong. I would love to get some help with this though.

On to making sawdust on the weekend! yeah! I just stopped for some left over spaghetti and sausage and meatballs... Oh man is that hitting the spot after all the turkey.

Thanks in advance folks. Happy Holidays to everyone!

Joe

Glue alone on a carcase joint like that would be weak (one side of the joint is end-grain, which doesn't glue nearly as well as long grain)-- so your choice of Miller dowels is a good one. The load to be carried will matter, but for a typical cabinet use, three dowels should be plenty.

Rabbet or butt?: Either will work. A rabbeted corner can be more attractive, and may help keep the parts aligned, but structurally either will be fine.

What is the best 90* joint? Dovetails.

I used locking rabbet joints throughout my tool chest. Very strong. I don't expect it to ever loosen up.
    There is only 1 screw in it, connecting the lower to the upper.

100_2725s.jpg

100_2728s.jpg

100_3067.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Can't contribute to the thread but, damn Myk, Nice chest! Love the centre set of drawers.

Nice chest! Is that cherry?