Thread: Bowl with carved handles and feet, 1st try

Bowl with carved handles and feet, 1st try

John Lucas gave a demo at the Knoxville woodturning club a few months ago on making a turned bowl with carved feet and handles. I had never tried this so I decided to make an attempt. I set my light diffuser cube up the other day so I finally got a picture.

carved_bowl_IMG_4195.jpg

This is from dry Bradford Pear, oil finish. I decided to go for the tendrils look. This is probably too fragile to be functional.

Here is the pre-carved turning:

carved_bowl_start.jpg

I learned a lot from this first try. The hardest thing with such a big foot ring is turning the sides and bottom with curves that will end up as one continuous curve. This one came out just right but if I do another one I think I'll make a template. I will probably try for a better balance between the handles and feet.

Carved with a Foredom, carving gouges, sharp knife and riffler files, smoothed with files and sandpaper on a stick.

I wimped out on making the sides smooth between the handles. I used a small carbide burr in a Dremel to stipple the band.

JKJ

Carving is way out of my skill bucket, but I can see that you have a knack for it!! Nice job.

That is very nice! I think I like the dimpled band look better than I would a blended band.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That is very nice! I think I like the dimpled band look better than I would a blended band.
    +1 on the dimples. All works well together. It will be a challenge to improve much on the next one.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Beautifully done!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Definitely not a functional piece. but definitely eyecandy. Well done.

Beautiful turning (and photography).

photo phun

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Ford View Post
    Beautiful turning (and photography).
    Thank you! For photos I use a cheap home made light diffuser cube made out of PVC pipe and some thin white cloth. The floor/back is a curved piece of grey mat board from the framing store. Lit with two bright CFL photo bulbs from Amazon and one daylight LED for highlights. Canon 70D on a tripod, wired shutter release. This setup makes it hard to mess up a shot too bad. Photoshop for the quick composite - was in the graphic arts field before I retired about 10 years ago. Good clean fun!

JKJ

stellar work!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Beautiful craftsmanship there John!

Very nice piece. Way above my skill.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

John, you obviously have skills and this piece sure shows it. I look forward to seeing second and third attempts!

Very impressive work - both the carving and photography! Thanks for sharing!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

John, beautiful work. What type of tool rest are you using in the in-progress pic?

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    John, beautiful work. What type of tool rest are you using in the in-progress pic?

Thanks! The tool rest is my favorite short rest, bought it somewhere probably 10-15 years ago. Sorry, can't remember any details. I like the way the top can be put very close to the work.

It is extremely simple and sturdy, a flat piece of steel welded to a 1" rod at an angle, bevel machined on the top. I have both materials on hand and was thinking about making a few, different sizes. I might angle the ends a bit to fit better into an occasional tighter spot. Maybe not.

JKJ