Thread: spalted hackberry

spalted hackberry

This hackberry hollow form has a larger opening than I usually turn, allowed for some interior sanding. Finished turned while wet, it dried a couple of days in my shop before sanding. The pith cracks were there before turning (about the same size as now). I believe that this would have self-destructed if attempted as twice turned. 12 inches diameter X 5 inches tall. Finished with lacquer.
    Comments and critiques welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Both the form and wood are beautiful.

Was the wood pithy and prone to tearout? I have some fairly large blocks of hackberry on my spalted shelf that have been air drying 8-10 years. This may inspire me to put one on the lathe.

JKJ

This wood was solid with no pithy areas. I have turned quite a bit of hackberry, it can get punky and have tearout issues if it stays wet for too long. It spalts readily but the spalting is sometimes blotchy and sometimes very pretty.

Super nice yeah. The bigger hole makes it more SW looking.

Beautiful spalting, nice work.

wooowee!!! she's sure pretty!
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Gorgeous wood, beautiful form.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

It's all been said...but great wood and turning....

Blog Entries
    Wood and form are beautiful

You broke the rule of leaving in the pith but it looks great. It really is spalted. Looks like another form/look to try sometime.

Did you do any thing to keep the yellow out. It sure is white--looks good. Thepith rule is merely a caused by poor curing usually.