Thread: Maple Burl Bowl

Maple Burl Bowl

This is a maple burl bowl 10 1/4" diameter x 3" high with a5/16" thick wall. Finish is danish oil buffed and polished
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Nice job on that bowl. Love the shape, wood and finish!
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

Very nice; form, finish & choice of wood. Happy Holidays in the U.P. - start shovelling.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Very nice!!

Thank you all for the compliments.

I have studied Richard Raffins book " Art of Turned Bowls". It is very informative on the form of a bowl. The rim is similar to Bill Grumbine. Hopefully it will improve as my turning muscle grows. The finish is danish oil as Bill Grumbine uses in his first video of turning bowls.

As far as the wood goes, I work at a hardwood veneer and lumber mill. I am like a kid in a candy store. The log yard calls me if they have a log with a big burl. Our chipper operator also rescues burls before they go into the chipper. I have to share these with a few of the other guys. They sell them, I use them.

Mark - Looks like we won't have to break out the shovel for at least the next week - hopefully longer.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

Very nice, and well done. I guess I need to start reading on bowl shapes or just look at your turnings. Right now I just turn to whatever shape I feel like. I have 50 acres of woods behind me and I have not seen a burl yet. You are lucky to have a supply.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.