Thread: Joiners mallet project

Joiners mallet project

Hi, folks. I made this joiners mallet this weekend out of some scraps that I had laying around the shop. The head is made out of Macassar ebony and white oak and the handle is bubinga with aluminum inserts. Thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Outstanding !
    The aluminum absolutely "makes it"

That's really nice.Ill take two please.👍

Nice work...That would be something I'd hang on the wall & not use....Very nice

Thanks for the kind words, guys. You're right, Jay, I think I'll just make it conversation piece on a coffee table or hang it on the wall.

Care to make a trade?

I'll even throw in the little one! Seriously, great looking mallet. Nice Job!

The aluminum inserts are definitely cool. Would you elaborate more on how you did that? Are they epoxied in?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe A Faulkner View Post
    I'll even throw in the little one! Seriously, great looking mallet. Nice Job!
    Nice looking pair of mallets you have there, Joe, and thanks for the offer, but I think I'll hang on to this one for now. Thank you though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cherry View Post
    The aluminum inserts are definitely cool. Would you elaborate more on how you did that? Are they epoxied in?
    Thanks, Mike. The inserts were a tight press fit and they were glued in with CA glue as well so they're not going anywhere. Once that was done I used a 5/8" ball mill to mill a bit of a relief down the center of the handle to give the inserts a contoured look. Here's a better picture of the handle.