Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jointer plane purchase

Jointer plane purchase

Good morning, I am getting into hand tools and need some advise. I am going to build some tables and a bench to learn how to joint an edge. I need to buy a jointer plane. I have done my research and I feel that the Veritas Bevel-UP Jointer[05P37.01] is a solid plane. What are thoughts and advise for me. If you like another brands of planes please let me know.
    Just looking for guidance before I spend the $$$
    Thank you for your help
    Jeffrey
    If no one will ever see it, all the more reason to make it right

I have the bevel up jointer from Veritas. It's the best of the 3 BU planes for me. I like the feel and action vs a bevel down jointer here, and I find it works very well. I also got the jointing edge guide. I like that too.

Jeffery,

A jointer plane by nature of its shear size is heavy. Traditional metal jointer planes are bevel down as are wood stock jointers. My rule unless I have a very good reason not to follow it is: How did the "old guys" do it? Then do it their way. They jointed with bevel down wood stock planes, when metal planes became available some used them but many continued to use wood stocks for I expect some very good reasons. Friction is a big one as is weight, after a day of prepping rough timber the difference in ease of use is huge. I will still use my metal stock planes to finish but to get it to that stage woodies rule. You need three, a Scrub, a Jack, and a Try plane, all can be found new from ECE for a reasonable price or from boutique makers for a higher but also reasonable price.

ken

Blog Entries
    I agree wooden planes rule especially with the larger planes. HNT Gordon also makes a beautiful try plane, I have one on the way but if course cannot comment until I've used it. Voigt planes would make you a double iron try that would be extremely versatile but like the HNT costs more than a Veritas. If I were going metal I would also cosinder the Veritas, the BU like you said or perhaps one of the new custom plane models. If your willing to learn the hard way, the big auction site might turn up a old used wooden plane on the cheap.

You guys have me thinking. I came into a couple ECE primus planes (smoother and jack) and I have to say I love these way more than my bevel up jointer and smoother. The only downside is that the blade mounting takes some time.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew N. Masail View Post
    I agree wooden planes rule especially with the larger planes. HNT Gordon also makes a beautiful try plane, I have one on the way but if course cannot comment until I've used it. Voigt planes would make you a double iron try that would be extremely versatile but like the HNT costs more than a Veritas. If I were going metal I would also cosinder the Veritas, the BU like you said or perhaps one of the new custom plane models. If your willing to learn the hard way, the big auction site might turn up a old used wooden plane on the cheap.
    Hi Matthew

You will love that HNT Gordon Trying Plane. I use mine as a short jointer for smaller pieces. It has a lot in common with the Veritas jointers, particularly the BU Jointer. These planes have a low centre of effort, and they provide a lot of feedback. In use, they often feel like one is using a large block plane. Although the Gordon has a 60 degree bed and is BD, the body is very low.

Let us know what you think of the handles, and how they work for you. In the end I added a handle to mine, the design of which was tricky but very educational (see the Centre of Effort articles).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Hi Derek, I acually ordered the A55, though I also ordered one of the regular smothers and mini smoother, Ive read your post about modifieng the try plane (was a little paiinful to see I must admit, and also just thought the handle on the A55 would be more comfortable for a longer plan. Have you tried the A55 try plane ? Do you find yourself using the modified try plane ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Cole View Post
    Good morning, I am getting into hand tools and need some advise. I am going to build some tables and a bench to learn how to joint an edge. I need to buy a jointer plane. I have done my research and I feel that the Veritas Bevel-UP Jointer[05P37.01] is a solid plane. What are thoughts and advise for me. If you like another brands of planes please let me know.
    Just looking for guidance before I spend the $$$
    Thank you for your help
    Jeffrey
    Howdy Jeffrey,

The plane you are looking at is a fine plane from a company who will be there if there is a problem down the road.

It is difficult to give a good answer to your question without knowing more about you and what you already have. What do you have for sharpening blades? Do you have experience or own other hand planes or tools? Have you worked on setting up other tools such as table saws or done automotive repairs?

As far as the Veritas Bevel Up Jointer goes my first thought is it doesn't have fully flat sides for use as a shooting plane. That may be its only drawback.

There was a recent thread on some problems encountered with a BU Jointer and tear out. This is why bevel down planes with a chip breaker are preferred by some.

There is also a lot of personal opinions in the answers to your question. Compared to the rest of my accumulation I have very few planes newer than the 1930s. Part of my passion is fixing up old forgotten things and bringing them back to a new life.

It can be tricky and if not careful, some investments in old tools can end up being a bust.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    My personal preference for flattening panels us a wooden try plane. Far less friction to contend with. I tend to prefer my wooden try for edge jointing as well. Just glides do nicely.

I use my LN 7 for shooting or anything where I lay the plane on it's side.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

As much as I appreciate the shout-out, I wonder if a hammer-adjusted wooden plane is the right choice for a newbie who perhaps has never owned a plane before. A woodie takes some getting used to, and adjusting with a hammer, while not in itself difficult, adds another layer of complication when one is already trying to deal with all the other aspects that need to be mastered. The mechanical adjustors on a Stanley/Bailey type plane are pretty intuitive; I suppose that is part of why they became so popular.

I think for a complete beginner, I would advise getting a nice old Stanley that has already been tuned, not one that needs a lot of work. You will be in business for a lot less $$$, and the plane will work as well as any. But a new Veritas or Lie Nielsen would also be great.

The good news is that whether you buy a nice old Stanley or a new Veritas or Lie Nielsen, you can probably turn around and sell it for what you paid. So, maybe best not to think too hard--buy a plane, use it, if you don't like it sell it and get another.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

Blog Entries
    That's good advice, Steve. I was just rounding up some of the options I would think of. honestly for a beginner nothing beats a #4 and a #5 old Stanley's. you can joint edges very well with a #5 and those will also be two planes I would keep even if I owned many other types and sizes.

Hi Derek, I acually ordered the A55, though I also ordered one of the regular smothers and mini smoother, Ive read your post about modifieng the try plane (was a little paiinful to see I must admit, and also just thought the handle on the A55 would be more comfortable for a longer plan. Have you tried the A55 try plane ? Do you find yourself using the modified try plane ?
    You know Matthew, I have never used the A55 - I just never availed for myself the opportunities when I have shared space with Terry at woodshows. He is the salt of the Earth, utterly reliable ... as are all his planes. It is uncanny that one can drop a sharp blade into a HNT Gordon plane, and it will perform perfectly. Are you getting the O1 or HSS (M2) blade?

Were I buying a trying plane from Terry today, and did not need the extra 5 degrees cutting angle, - I would get the A55. I do use the version I have quite a bit - it is excellent when working on a smaller, narrower board - and the handle I added works well. I am sure that the A55 would be better balanced.

Regards from Perth

Derek

jeffrey, i agree with steve's approach. a new woodworker needs to first use a plane that works properly. if you try to use a plane that needs work, it could frustrate you. all of the used planes will work fine if you can get one from a trusted source that has the plane ready to use. if you are buying a plane from the net, sight unseen, buy one of the new, quality planes. of the new planes, the veritas will get you working for less than the others and does not take a back seat in quality.

I have and LOVE my LV BU Jointer. Tremendous bang for the buck.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have the BU Jointer. Love it. Enough mass and blade configuration for most various wood grain and hardness.