Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quick-change Chucks, anyone?

Quick-change Chucks, anyone?

I'm only aware of two quick-change chucks on the market, the Nova Infinity system and Easy Wood Tools' Easy Chuck. Anyone here had hands on with one or both that can offer comments?

The Easy chuck looks interesting. I like the Speed Ring and the prominent "Made in USA". It's also the most spendy chuck in its class at $399, and it appears that the best price around is $379 (Amazon Prime).

The Nova Infinity looks interesting because I have 2 nova G3 chucks that I use with my midi lathe (lathe and chucks about to go up for sale, so upgrading then to the quick-change system isn't a consideration). The G3 chucks have served me well, and speak well of Nova's product, evbe though it's made in China. Lists at #329, commonly available for $269.

So the Easy chuck is $100 more. Is it worth the money?

Thanks!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

I haven't used either, but I saw Carl Jacobson demo the Easy Wood chuck. I was impressed at how fast it changed out, and he said it was quicker and smoother than the Nova. I don't really need another chuck, but have been considering it.

robo hippy

I've heard from 3-4 folks who are happy with the easy wood chuck. If I was only going to have one chuck, that might be it. But what fun would that be. :-)

There are several jaws available but not as many as nova.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    I've heard from 3-4 folks who are happy with the easy wood chuck. If I was only going to have one chuck, that might be it. But what fun would that be. :-)

There are several jaws available but not as many as nova.

The Infinity jaw range doesn't include the full Nova jaw range, only a portion of it. Other old-style jaws can be used if you add the retrofit kit at $35 per jaw set. Only cost-effective if you already own the jaws.

D.

I shaved my head.

I thought about the Nova then decided against it. The reason? I sometimes leave several partially finished projects or jam chucks held in jaws of several chucks. I would far prefer to buy two more chucks on sale than one expensive one with quick-change jaws.

I think I have 11 or 12 in my shop at the moment, with some loaned out. I usually keep several with identical jaws, the ones I use the most.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I thought about the Nova then decided against it. The reason? I sometimes leave several partially finished projects or jam chucks held in jaws of several chucks. I would far prefer to buy two more chucks on sale than one expensive one with quick-change jaws.

If you're going to invest in a lot jaws and swap the jaws often, going with one of the quick-change chucks is a good idea. That's just not the way I work. I'd much rather have several chucks and only change jaws occasionally. To that end, I bought Record Power's SC4 chuck to check it out. I bought their pen turning and long nose jaws to go with it. It's a well-made chuck and the jaws are sturdy and grip well. At $200, the SC4 is a little less money than a Vicmarc 120 and half the cost of an Easy Chuck. I might need to add to my chuck collection.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

VM120 runs $289 with standard dovetail jaws.

the Record SC4 with dovetail jaws is $200

that's quite a bit more than "a little less"

plus, they aren't comparable chucks.

the VM100 chuck is comparable to an SC4 - and is only $40 more than the SC4

If my information is correct, the Record SC4 is a jaw compatible clone of the Nova SN2.

I have 4 SN2s each with a separate jaw set. Three are used pretty heavily and keep the same set of jaws. The fourth gets changed out as needed. I have strongly considered adding an infinity chuck and a few jaw sets and leaving that chuck with one set of jaws, but since I already have jaws that match most of the infinity range, I probably will NOT buy one. Since there are two different jaw sets that I swap out most often, I may add just a chuck body and keep both mounted. That would eliminate most jaw changes for me.

The infinity jaws appear heavier and they claim the jaws tighten to the chuck body as it spins, but can not be used in reverse. They may increase the rpm at which the chuck is labeled to be used, I have not seen the tables on that.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

I bit the bullet and sprang for the Easy Chuck along with the 16" Big Easy cole jaws. I needed another chuck and love this one. My lathe (go733) has 18" swing so I routinely need to finish bowls up to about 15.5 ". For some reason, it seems cole jaws top out at about 12 " or less. The Easy setup, while pricey, works great, although those more experienced turners probably jam chuck it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Pachlhofer View Post
    VM120 runs $289 with standard dovetail jaws.

the Record SC4 with dovetail jaws is $200

that's quite a bit more than "a little less"

plus, they aren't comparable chucks.

the VM100 chuck is comparable to an SC4 - and is only $40 more than the SC4
    You're correct. The VM120 and the SC4 are not directly comparable. Here are the meaningful measurements:

• VM100: Body size -- 3.5" Compression range with standard jaws: 1.25" - 2.75"
    • VM120: Body size -- 5" Compression range with standard jaws: 2" - 3.125"
    • SC4: Body size -- 4" Compression range with standard jaws: 1.9375" - 2.75"

Note that the SC4 has a smaller range of jaw movement, just over 3/4", than either of the Vicmarcs. One thing you cannot tell from the numbers is the weight of the chucks. The SC4 is a very substantial chuck. It weighs much more than the VM100 and is about the same weight as the VM120. (More weight isn't always a good thing.) Bottom line: I love my Vicmarcs. They've served me for over a decade and show no signs of stopping. But, if I were starting a chuck collection today, I'd be very tempted by the Record Power SC4.
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

I'm also a fan of Vicmarcs. I think I've got 3, plus I have 2 additional Bulldogs (which use VM jaws)

I think it's a bit odd that Record does not give a recommended "work holding" size like other manufacturers tend to do. I certainly wouldn't try to grip a 16" bowl on a VM100, though I bet it would do it if there were large enough jaws to do it.

CSUSA lists the compression range of the SC4 from 1 5/16" (1.3125) - 2.75" - which puts it more "in-line" with a VM100 as far as grip range.

if I had Nova chucks, I would consider adding some Record chucks as "backups" (like my Bulldogs that backup my VMs)

but all this does not answer the OP's question...

my answer: pick a brand of chuck and stick with it...and have more than one chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Harris View Post
    I bit the bullet and sprang for the Easy Chuck along with the 16" Big Easy cole jaws. I needed another chuck and love this one. My lathe (go733) has 18" swing so I routinely need to finish bowls up to about 15.5 ". For some reason, it seems cole jaws top out at about 12 " or less.
    Vicmarc makes a set that go up to 15" plus (385mm), but I cannot think of another one that is that big. It does also look like that Teknatool does make extension plates for their 12" jaws also that get them up to 15" or so. I have never seen them in person that I know of.

Craft Supplies sent and email that said all Easy Wood Products including Chucks are 20% off today if you are wanting one. To me, if you have a big lathe it is too small, the manufacturer says up to 12" bowls. I would'nt trade my Vicmarks for anything, but I agree, pick a brand and stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Mason View Post
    Craft Supplies sent and email that said all Easy Wood Products including Chucks are 20% off today if you are wanting one. To me, if you have a big lathe it is too small, the manufacturer says up to 12" bowls. I would'nt trade my Vicmarks for anything, but I agree, pick a brand and stick with it.

The Easy Wood Tools sale at Craft Supplies is in effect for the entire month of December, so I don't need to rush onto anything today (opportunity to control tendency to impulse buy).

Where are you getting your information on the Easy Chuck's limit of 12" bowls? I can't find that in any of their literature. I could see a 12" limit using the stock 1 3/8" dovetail jaws (just common sense to me) but not with the 2 3/8" or 3 1/2" dovetail jaws. They make Cole-style jaws up to 20" for the easy chuck, so the 12" limitation is suspect.

D.

I shaved my head.

QUOTE=Dan Case LR;2497908]The Easy Wood Tools sale at Craft Supplies is in effect for the entire month of December, so I don't need to rush onto anything today (opportunity to control tendency to impulse buy).

Where are you getting your information on the Easy Chuck's limit of 12" bowls? I can't find that in any of their literature. I could see a 12" limit using the stock 1 3/8" dovetail jaws (just common sense to me) but not with the 2 3/8" or 3 1/2" dovetail jaws. They make Cole-style jaws up to 20" for the easy chuck, so the 12" limitation is suspect.

D.[/QUOTE]I clicked on the largest jaws they offer, and here is what it stated:

• For bowls and platters up to 12" diameter.
      With the Easy Wood Tools™ Easy Chuck™ changing an entire set of jaws takes about 30 seconds. Easy Wood Tools™ patent-pending Snap-Lock Technology eliminates the need to remove jaw slides and jaw screws saving you time and money. Simply insert the small t-handle wrench into the small hole located in the jaw and press to unlock the jaw from the jaw slide. To install, simply slide the jaw into the chuck. When you hear the snap, the jaw is locked in place and ready to go!
    • Compression range: 2-3/8" - 3-3/8"
    • Expansion range: 3" - 4-3/16"
    • Quick and Easy: No changing screws or removing jaw slides
    • Safety Corners: Rounded corners of the top jaws reduce chance of injury to knuckles
    • Durable Components: Easy Jaw components are hardened and corrosion resistant for extreme durability.

Maybe I am reading something wrong, I just happened to have seen that and wanted to make sure you knew.
    Last edited by Michael Mason; 12-01-2015 at 11:14 AM. Reason: More comments