Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting saw type

Interesting saw type

I saw this saw on ebay and am quiet smitten with the form. It is the top saw. Anyone know anything about saws like this? I think I will make one out of an old plate. Thanks for any info.
    Cool Saw.jpg

Make a Saw?

I believe it is the type of saw that you just rub on wood and the wood becomes cut-wood. But use aside, you mean you just decide to head out to the shop and knock out a new saw in the next half hour or so? Go ahead on and do that while I am still trying to figure out this saw sharpening stuff with less-than-young-eyes. May as well have another saw just to keep your hand in so to speak. Will we see photos of the new creation tomorrow?
    David

Probably not tomorrow, got other projects ahead of this. Maybe around Christmas time. Thinking this would be a good little bench saw for use with a bench hook. Anyone seen this type saw? Wondering if Mr. Bontz has made one like this? I have a 10 point plate waiting, maybe an Osage tote?

The cheek of that handle reminds me a tiny little bit of the dovetail and carcass saw handle from Smith's key. That long end in front of the nib is also a bit like those saws.

http://eaiainfo.org/2014/02/05/decoding-smiths-key/

What kind of sawscrews does it have?

Look like regular saw screws from the back, the front kind of looks like a rivet.

Man, that could very well be an old one, early 19th century! The very round nose, the long straight in front of the nib, the curious cheek. I think those screws are replacements, maybe the handle was indeed attached with rivets originally.

And of course it could be much newer, dating saws ain't that easy.

Scrape the rust with some mineral spirits and a razor blade. Maybe you'll find a name.

Its not mine I just saw it on ebay and figured I could make a copy of it.

Looks like it's made for cutting early 19th Century PVC pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Cantrell View Post
    Look like regular saw screws from the back, the front kind of looks like a rivet.

What is the ppi and does the plate have any taper? The hang looks a little high for a Smith's Key saw. Rather looks like a small table saw to me. Good research project for some one. Interesting angle on the nib. Wouldn't take much to make one and could come in handy in tight spots.

It looks, in fact, as if someone has done what you suggest. Overall geometry is similar to Disston's "Patternmaker's saw" and not unlike their "Cabinetmaker's saw." The former had a 7" long plate and the latter a longer one--14" or so IIRC. Here are some close relatives:

disston patternmaker7.5 x 1.5 in..jpgdisston joiner's saw 16 x 2 n one quarter x 20 n a half.jpg

Ron,
    these pics are just from an ebay listing I saw.

I guess no one is really familiar with the form? I like all the insight.

The form looks like a "Table" saw, although they usually have a longer blade (this one may have been shortened)
    The handle on early table saws was a bit more decorative than the somewhat plain one shown, so I'd guess it dates first half 1900s
    Should be a good project to copy this style (do some google searching for alternative handle details. Bob Summerfield makes a nice one http://lumberjocks.com/summerfi/blog/46985 )

Like the proportions! Have to wonder how deep the saw plate was originally, if materially different than the picture. Maybe George Wilson will take a look and opine?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

This thread was just the push I needed to throw me off balance and get me to make one of these saws. I had it in mind for a year of so.

I cut a section out of a very used Disston D-20, belt sanded most of the rust and shallow pits out of it, shaped the back of the heal, and made a handle. The plate is 14" long. The handle is cherry. (Hope it darkens up over time)100_1223.JPG100_1220.JPG100_1224.JPG100_1225.JPG100_1226.JPGAnd a Disston factory version.

Disston joiner's saw full.jpg