Thread: Butcher Block Cutting Board Feet

Butcher Block Cutting Board Feet

I am making an End Grain Cutting Board (18x24x1 1/2) and am thinking about attaching some feet using rare earth magnets - one inset in each corner and one inset in each foot so that the board will be reversible and the feet can be used on either side. I have looked around quite a bit and can't find that being used anywhere. Maybe it's a dumb idea, but I don't know why. Has anyone had any experience with using magnets to attach feet. The board will be pretty much stationary on the countertop (it weighs a ton!!!) so knocking them off shouldn't be a problem. I would GREATLY appreciate some input and your thoughts on my proposal. Thanks in advance ---

Ray Naeyaert

It sounds like a workable idea, if you use strong enough magnets. If you intend to insert them and cover with a matching plug do a test of concept first.

I think feet are needed for end grain boards to keep them from sitting in moisture. But I can't imagine the need for the board to be reversible. I'm guessing it would take at least one lifetime to wear out one side of that board. The magnet idea probably can work but seems more trouble then it's worth. Maybe easier to build a small "holder" of sorts to keep it off the countertop that the board sits in/on. In a few generations when it needs to be flipped just turn it?

My end grain cutting board sits directly on the counter. The only time it has ever cupped was when we used it as a counter protector underneath a heating skillet. The top dried out and it cupped about 1/2". I wet the top side for a day and oiled it heavily the next day. It is as good as new. We use ours for dry items. A board used for wet items might prefer raised feet.

I think the rare earth magnet idea is great in concept, but would possibly fail in real life. The magnets should be close to the surface to work best. This limits the ability to put them in before glue-up and sanding. Putting them in afterwards will result in a plug showing somewhere. I also think you would spend a lot of effort worrying about one falling off when you take it to the sink to wash it. I would just screw in some feet and be done with it.

Steve

I have an end grain cutting board about your size. It sits directly on the counter. After a period of time it starts to bow slightly to the point that it slips around on the counter (it gets exposed to a lot of moisture). I just flip it over and all is well again. It's also a sign that it needs oiling...which I do every 2-3 months. I've never wished it had feet. My advice is go without and use it for awhile and see.