Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Health and working with hand tools

Back Health and working with hand tools

I figured this was the best place to ask this question as I'm sure there are more than a few here who might be able to give me some personal insight. I've started my journey into using hand tools, bought a few but haven't used them yet because I need to build my bench first. Last Wednesday, I had an extremely painful back incident. Nothing acute to bring it on, just suddenly my back started to hurt like never before. I went to the ortho today and an X-ray was done. My problem turned out to be my SI joint. However, the X-ray showed I have some serious deterioration in my L4, L5 and starting on my L6. See attached x-ray. Oddly, my spine hasn't started to bother me yet, but I have a very thin disk in the back of these vertebrae.

Now I'm concerned that using hand tools like planes could hasten my disk deterioration. I'm sure there are folks here that have had problems with their back. Should I be concerned with using hand tools like planes with this pretty advanced deterioration? I'm pretty worried about it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Kent I just hate to hear about someone having back problems. I have been dealing with it for 25 years. I have come close. To having to give up woodworking more then once. I now have a spinal cord stimulator implanted in my back. It works to help relieve pain but does not fix anything. I'm not out of it altogether but there is some things I can't or will not due. My advise, every case is different. Make sure you have a good orthopedist. Get a good therapist, they will teach you the excercises that you will need to know. They will become your best friend. Follow the doctor's and therapist's instruction as close to the letter as you can. I still use hand tools including planes but my techniques are not the same as they used to be. I wish you good luck with your back. I truly have been there and done that on this one.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    As Jim said, work with your orthopedist and any physical therapist.

If they okay you for working and movement then proceed with caution. If it hurts, you should stop.

It made me chuckle a day or so ago when in another thread someone mentioned removing 1/16" with a plane and not wanting to use 40 or 50 strokes. For my back, likely not as bad as yours, it wouldn't be done with much less than 15. Sure it could be done with 3 or 4 strokes, if I was 45 years younger or didn't mind some sore muscles.

The height of your bench will also do a lot to make it easy or hard on your back. For me a low bench makes my lower back sore if a lot of flat work has to be done. There is a sweet spot for planing around 3-1/2" above the bench top to about 9".

Sharp tools do not require as much effort as dull tools. Lower angles of attack require less effort than high angles of attack.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Gibsons British Columbia Canada ( near Vancouver )
    Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Kent I just hate to hear about someone having back problems. Get a good therapist, they will teach you the excercises that you will need to know. They will become your best friend. Follow the doctor's and therapist's instruction as close to the letter as you can.Jim
    I too have had back issues for years. What it took was finding a good Physiotherapist ( this was a younger fellow from Holland, he had the European angle which was great ) and he and I met at the gym a couple sessions, with specific things to do to strengthen my core ( among others ). I did as he said 3-4 times a week; it took 2 full years to get back on track.

I do the drill 2 times a week since then, and, touch wood, have had only minor tweaks the past 2 years.

You have some nearly bone on bone contact by the looks of it, but, like Jim said, every case is different.

Good luck!!!
    Dave B

Kent,
    I can empathise with your situation, I am just coming off two weeks of being drugged (steroids, nerve blockers, pain killers and something else) and confined to bed as a result of removing trees. Both Jim & James have stated the absolutes, great Orthopedist and a knowledgeable Therapist. Pay close attention to what hurts (listen to your body), tell them the truth, show them the motions that are involved in woodworking, listen to them, heed their advice and continue to do the assigned therapeutic exercises. As soon as something starts to hurt, STOP!!! Do not think that you can play through the pain, that worked back in the day but not now.
    Best wishes for a solid recovery.

Just recently had a few "issues" with the back.......Steriods and a pain pill was what they gave..

Have had Spinal Stenosis Lumbar for quite a few years now. There is also a touch of it in my neck....

Lot of it came from driving Forklifts for over 40 years.....kind of wears on you.

When I do any work in the shop...if the back says "Time out!", I stop for the day. I no longer do flooring of any kind. Oh, I can get down there to do the work, just won't be getting back up.....without help.

I just take things a lot easier.

I'm not sure how I earned this misfortune. I've spent my life at a desk job, I'm not really overweight (190 and 6ft. tall) and no family history of this. I'm only 48 years old.

I can relate. I am 53 and already had C3,C4 disk replaced, and need c5,6 and another disk (cant remember which) replaced as well. I live with pretty much constant severe pain, (or terrible numbness) that leave me requiring drugs. Ironically, my early life as a competitive swimmer almost certainly caused most of my problems.

I agree with what has been said already. Find doctors you can trust, and listen to them. And don't be afraid to quarrel with any medico who doesn't listen.

Best of luck to you, and remember, listen to your body.
    Paul

Kent, I own a specialty back/neck retail business (Relax The Back). Spending your life at a desk job didn't do you any favors...99% of office workers sit incorrectly and for too long...mostly slouched over and reaching. Posture like this over years takes its toll.
    Ditto on the advice to follow the advice from orthos and therapists.

The best relief from for back pain is neutral or zero gravity position. Knees propped up above your heart and back wedged to about 45 degrees. Lose the saggy recliners and couches...they will only exacerbate the problem. Build core strength. If your mattress is more than 10 years old look to replace it. Don't skimp...go for quality memory foam, latex/gel or combination...avoid coil springs. Get a good neck support pillow. Ask your Doctors/therapist about traction therapy and consider an inversion table.
    And by all means, as suggested above, when you feel pain or soreness, stop what you're doing and relax.

Blog Entries
    I sit all week with intermittent times of standing, so it's nice to work with the tools and stand all day. The only injury I've managed to self-inflict while working with hand tools is a twisting injury, so I'm more mindful of my movements now and have not gotten one since. So I think it's important to be mindful of the proper approach to pushing planes and swinging hammers, ect. I'm not a large framed person, so I rely upon legs and lats as often as possible.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I have had chronic back pain since hurting my back when I was 21 years old. Had to have a titanium implant about 15(?) years ago. I live in pain every day. Makes me grumpy sometimes. Any work I have done has been through pure stubbornness and the love of doing the work. Good luck in your dealing with it.

I used to have to work by hand,and I don't know if working will hurt you or strengthen your muscles. Try it and find out is all I can say.

Kent, There is much good advice here. I too have severe back problems and a considering building a bench with hand tools and am approaching 60 years old.
    I question my judgement at times, but cannot get working with my hands out of my system.
    Do what you love to do, but do it as your discomfort dictates, and ice applied to your lower back will become your best source of comfort, in times of really bad pain.

Hi Kent, I have the same problems and am 70. Could not imagine not doing woodworking. I have found that bench height is critical. Make the bench height so that you do not have to bend over more than about 5 degrees. Any more than that will bring on pain. When my back starts up I sit down and do something else at the bench. Plan your work time to include these breaks and have alternatives to do. That way at the end of the day you will feel that it has been a righteous day in the shop and all will be well.

My guess is you're experiencing some muscle spasms.
    I get the same thing. A bag of frozen peas works great!

When you're able you should do exercises to strengthen the muscles in your back.

I've had chronic back problems for over 25 years due to being injured by (not on) a horse.
    Its a very touch, unpredictable thing. I can wake up one morning in excruciating pain and can't figure out what I did.

If I do a lot of planing or bending to chisel, etc. my back will be bothering me by the end of the day.

I would keep your options open on the workbench height. Figure out a way to try different heights for planing.
    I keep mine just a little higher than recommended or my height.

I build a moxon vise on a base to elevate the wood for doing dovetails, etc. Its a life saver for me.
    Last edited by Robert Engel; 12-01-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Strong posterior helps to take the stress of the back. Office workers have back problems because sitting all day leads to a weak posterior and then back has to take up a lot of the slack.
    I am around 6'6" and used to have back issues and doing basic gluteal activation exercises really helped and now it is way better.

Here is a quick google link with some basic info:
    http://functionalresistancetraining....luteal-muscles