Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Back Health and working with hand tools

Thanks everyone for sharing your own experience in adjusting to having back issues and what was helpful. There is a lot of helpful advice in here for me to look into.

I think what I will have to do bench wise, is to make a modified one from the Adjustabench, so I can change the height of the bench until I find something more comfortable. I won't be able to make it as large or substantial as I wanted to, but this should give me a good option to make sure that I can adjust the height of the bench easily until I'm comfortable.

Kent, one of the things I did was get an Adjust a Bench. I have been happy that it helps. The stability is good for me. I can no longer take any giant shavings as I have to rely on arm strength. It is helpful to have the adjustable feature so matter what I do I can stand straight up. There are any things I have done to make it easier for myself. It is just hard to explain how badly I feel about anyone starting the bad back business. Before it started for me I had no idea what it is like. I do now. Again good doctor and therapist will save you acres of pain.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    I'm very sorry to hear about such a thing. I have no experience with back problems, thank g-d I'm only 28, but I did get tennis elbow from work and I'm currently taking active measures to fix and support my body. Yoga has been amazing so far, I don't know if that would be Ok for you, but I guess my point is that active exercise of the right type might be your best bet for improving your body's state. Yoga also teaches the muscles how to work without stressing themselves out.. It's quite amazing.

Kent, as you see, you don't have a silver bullet. I've had three neck injuries...two with fractures and/or dislocation, and a rear-ender that whip-lashed the old scar tissue. Later in life I developed degenerative disc disease (thinning of the discs) in my lumbar region, and that's the area of some of your problems. I had a workbench that was too high for what I do, and determined my optimal bench height by building low platforms of plywood and 1-by lumber, essentially lowering the bench height a little at a time until I hit the magic height of 32", 2-1/4" lower than the original bench...much cheaper than building an adjustable bench. I use an adjustable drafting stool when dovetailing, sawing and chiseling.
    Strengthening the glutes and interior back muscles is key. The link Reinis posted is good for the glutes, and pelvic tilts while lying on your back works the interior muscles. "Hunching" is the easiest way to describe it.
    Find your optimal bench height and pay attention to what your body is telling you, and you can enjoy hand tool woodworking...just don't force the issue.

Don't worry too much about having back surgery in the lower part of your back. All the nerves branch off about half way down. he farther down they operate,the less chance of a problem. My implant never bothered me at all . It cured my spinal stenosis,but I have continual pain in my sacrum,which I slipped when I was 21.

By now I've had about 14 surgeries. Double bypass,neck bones frozen together,so I can only turn my head 45º either way,both elbows. Injured the first one driving large nails. The other grabbing a slipping 5 gallon water bottle. Two hernias. Prostate removal from cancer. A number of others I can't even recall. I have neuropathy in my feet. Both knees completely worn out. Need lube shots every 6 months,but my right knee has been killing me anyway after the last shots(which used to help). Trying to resist knee replacement surgery,and hip,too.

They say that being under anesthesia can change your personality. Didn't seem to affect mine that much,except that I don't play guitar any more. But that is likely due to a painfully worn out right thumb from finger style playing since 1952. My wife had 1 surgery,and she claims it has caused her to suddenly get interested in baking,and less in her jewelry making.

I was 6' 5",now 6' 3". I have neuropathy in my feet and a lot of knee trouble as they are worn out. I get lubrication shots about every 6 months,but this time my right knee has been killing me anyway. Trying to avoid knee and hip replacements. Jay Gaynor died from a blood clot after a hip replacement. Keeled over in the parking lot. He was my last boss.

Codeine no longer affects me more than a child's aspirin.

It's that last one about anesthesia I'd be concerned about. You might wake up and have no interest in wood working,possibly. You might want to research it.
    Last edited by george wilson; 12-02-2015 at 9:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    I can relate. I am 53 and already had C3,C4 disk replaced, and need c5,6 and another disk (cant remember which) replaced as well. I live with pretty much constant severe pain, (or terrible numbness) that leave me requiring drugs.
    I am curious. What material was used to replace the disks? Transplants, synthetic?

Thanks

I have arthropathy (really freaking bad arthritis). The xray reports for my spinal column all begin with - severe degeneration. I took 40 mg of Oxycontin a day for about 4 - 5 years. I'm now off the oxy and the back HURTS. I've had some steroid shots that have helped a little. Things are not helped by having a charcot foot (collapsed arch) which has badly warped my walking gait. All of which means I cannot walk far or fast, cannot bend down, bend over of kneel down. This all combines to make bench height a BIG issue. I made my parts bench at 42" and that feels ok. That is too high for hand planning. Current bench height of 34" is too low - I'm currently 6' 2' having shrunk from 6' 4".

If you make you bench at a height in the middle of your working range, you can always effectively lower it with platforms for you to stand on. You can raise it with blocks. Think of aids like a bench-on-bench or a Moxon style vise. If your docs say you can do stuff then go for it. The only instant pain I feel is from working too low - that will cause me to quit in about 4 minutes.

FWIW & YMWV

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post
    I have arthropathy (really freaking bad arthritis). The xray reports for my spinal column all begin with - severe degeneration. I took 40 mg of Oxycontin a day for about 4 - 5 years. I'm now off the oxy and the back HURTS. I've had some steroid shots that have helped a little. Things are not helped by having a charcot foot (collapsed arch) which has badly warped my walking gait. All of which means I cannot walk far or fast, cannot bend down, bend over of kneel down. This all combines to make bench height a BIG issue. I made my parts bench at 42" and that feels ok. That is too high for hand planning. Current bench height of 34" is too low - I'm currently 6' 2' having shrunk from 6' 4".

If you make you bench at a height in the middle of your working range, you can always effectively lower it with platforms for you to stand on. You can raise it with blocks. Think of aids like a bench-on-bench or a Moxon style vise. If your docs say you can do stuff then go for it. The only instant pain I feel is from working too low - that will cause me to quit in about 4 minutes.

FWIW & YMWV
    Curt I had the ride on the Oxy road myself. Luckily I got methadone. Yea it is used for heroin addiction but also for chronic pain. It helps tremendously. Talk to your doctor about it.

Blog Entries
    Between white water paddling in southeastern rock gardens, having all but one disc in my neck herniated in an auto "accident" (they never xrayed my back), slinging large dogs on a bite sleeve for 30 years, football and wrestling, breaking both first ribs....my back has had more than it's share of abuse. I bought a Nautilus back/sit up machine years ago. When I use it and other machines/weights regularly to work my back and stomach my pain and problems become insignificant in the larger scheme, until I "back" off on the workouts.

I have become a believer in figuring out what muscle groups and ligaments seem to be associated with such issues. Sure a doctor and or a therapist might help, but only you can figure out exactly where it hurts and what you need to stretch and strengthen to improve whatever pain/cramping.. you have. Surgical solutions typically still require rehabilitation of local muscle & ligaments to work. I say learn/know your own body first, no one else has the same "attachment" to it you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Putnam View Post

FWIW & YMWV
    Curt, i am a recovering drunk of some 32 yrs sober. I have brutal neuropathic pain in my hands, so bad, that without meds, i would be completely doubled over. I take hydromorphone, and it has not triggered me at all, the way most narcotics do. You cant even say "fentanyl" around me without my heartrate going up.

it is a narcotic, but it has given me some of my life back. And i don't crave it like i would with some other meds.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Holbrook View Post
    Between white water paddling in southeastern rock gardens, having all but one disc in my neck herniated in an auto "accident" (they never xrayed my back), slinging large dogs on a bite sleeve for 30 years, football and wrestling, breaking both first ribs....my back has had more than it's share of abuse. I bought a Nautilus back/sit up machine years ago. When I use it and other machines/weights regularly to work my back and stomach my pain and problems become insignificant in the larger scheme, until I "back" off on the workouts.

I have become a believer in figuring out what muscle groups and ligaments seem to be associated with such issues. Sure a doctor and or a therapist might help, but only you can figure out exactly where it hurts and what you need to stretch and strengthen to improve whatever pain/cramping.. you have. Surgical solutions typically still require rehabilitation of local muscle & ligaments to work. I say learn/know your own body first, no one else has the same "attachment" to it you do.
    swimming is also excellent for that kind of benefit. But you must be disciplined about it. I cant right now because of my neck, and i miss it.
    Paul

I used a non-drug way to get my back to settle down. Paid for it yesterday for NOT using it, too..
    Soo, I had a small pillow. I sleep with it between my knees. Otherwise, I tend to roll up into a pretzel" with one leg going over the other wrong...

Soo, after sleeping last night with the pillow in it's place, I woke up this morning 90% pain free. Seems to work for me. I just have to remember to use it every night.

Hey Paul, my major neuropathy is in my feet (hence the Charcot foot). Can't feel them unless the nerves themselves are making me miserable. Feels like having frozen feet while ice skating thawing out. So far the major impediment to woodworking is essential (familial) tremors in my hands for which I take 200mg of mysoline a day. Getting old hurts too darn much. I'll see the pain doc again next week and mention the drugs you and Chuck have suggested.

I might add something to this thread. Around Christmas last year, I developed a severely painful neck, which was caused by hunching over a laptop for 4-5 hours each night while writing endless reports to meet deadlines at that time of year. I could not move my head for months. Sitting for long caused extreme discomfort. My sleep was destroyed. You all know this better than I. Treatment began with physiotherapy, and then moved to daily exercises, and finally exercise plus medication. I lived with hot packs when not working (which includes being seated with patients for 8 hours each day). It is still there, but only noticeable when I sit in a position that encourages poor posture.

Woodworking became very difficult - one of the reasons my output dropped off this year. Planing or chiseling over my bench encouraged leaning over, and this ended with spasms in my neck. What I ended up doing is raising my bench on bricks. Originally the height was via Chris Schwarz' "pinky test". That gave me an "ideal height" of 32". Raising the bench brought it to 34", which is the height of my previous bench (about 3 years ago). It feels so much better now.

Regards from Perth

Derek