Thread: chuck for my new lathe, delta dl-40 up to 16 in swing

chuck for my new lathe, delta dl-40 up to 16 in swing

I have a basic Woodriver chuck from woodcraft that has served me well, on my 12 in lathe, will this chuck be useable on bigger bowls, up to 16 in. Or should I look at a different one, I saw ther is a delta version of the g3 that has lock.screw to allow me to use the reverse function. And when I was looking at woodcraft flyer they have supernova 2 chucks for 129$ would either of those chucks handle the bigger bowls? Or is there anything better in the under 150$ price range.

Cody, your going to turn a 16" bowl blank on a 12" lathe, I'm wondering if your lathe is big/heavy enough?
    Len

The SN2 is rated for 12-16" lathes, the G3 for 12", I believe. That is based more on the weight of the chuck than anything else. Turning size is more determined by the jaws design and manner of gripping. The nova manual on its jaws give the safe loads each jaw type can grip.

I agree with Len's question - if you have a 12" lathe, does it have a motor (hp and torque rating) sufficient for turning a 16" item. Note that also depends on whether we are talking platters vs bowls, and whether you are using well prepared blanks or rough out of balance timbers.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

The DL-40 is a 16" lathe over the bed, 24" outboard. Guess that that is how he is going to do it. The Super Nova II will easily handle a 16" bowl with the 3" bowl jaws for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Blasic View Post
    The DL-40 is a 16" lathe over the bed, 24" outboard. Guess that that is how he is going to do it. The Super Nova II will easily handle a 16" bowl with the 3" bowl jaws for me anyway.

Correct, sorry if I did not make sense it was late... I had a harbor frieght 12 in lathe, the woodriver chuck worked great, I now have the delta, with 16 in swing, so I was looking for something that can handle bigger bowls.

is the Super Nova II for 129 from woodcraft the best value?

here is the chuck
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/145...va2-chuck.aspx
    would the 100mm jaws be big enough for a 16 inch swing lathe, (says it works for 14 in bowl.)
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/15M...m-jaw-set.aspx
    or would I need the 130mm?
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/126...umbo-jaws.aspx

would the woodriver chuck I have handle the bigger bowls with a bigger set of jaws?

with this insert I could even use it outboard
    http://www.woodcraft.com/product/142...al-thread.aspx
    Last edited by cody michael; 12-01-2015 at 11:45 AM.

what is the max bowl my woodriver chuck could hold? could it use bigger jaws? are the jaws the same for the woodriver as nova jaws?

JMHO but..
    I think the SN2 will handle anything you want to throw at it. I have an old WC chuck but I am not sure of the max capacity; haven't used it in years.
    In Nova jaws I would go with the Powergrips (100MM) instead of the 100mm bowl jaws. You can do the same thing with the powergrips and be able to hold a hollow form which could get iffy with the bowl jaws. The powergrips are not much more expensive.

I don't know if you are a "prime" member at Amazon.
    For an SN2, insert, powergrip jaws, and shipping Prime is $50 less. Or more than enough to get the 70mm bowl jaws also with change left over.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

I was looking around, and cpooutlet has the sc2 with 100 mm jaws and 130 mm jaws for about 215$ that's over budget but I think may be the way to go.

I don't think I have any interest in hollow forms, but I will definitely think about