Thread: Machine bases - need max control and locking capabilities.

Machine bases - need max control and locking capabilities.

Hey Folks,

I am in the market for a few rolling bases for my Jet 14" band saw, my Jet 17" drill press, and my Dewalt lunchbox planer. If there is one out there for my 6" Jet planer I would be very interested as well.

I moved a while while back from a gorgeous spacious basement shop where I had the very large and comfortable amount of space for all my "stationary" power tools. I am now in a Bay Area (SF Bay) two car garage shop that has many space challenges. The biggest challenge is maneuverability of the equipment. Most of the original stands only provide two articulating casters, and trying to move them in and out of tight parking spaces is rough.

Are there after market mobile bases with more maneuverable casters? Of course they need to lock well once in position so that I am not chasing the machine with the work piece in hand.

Any my suggestions much appreciated.

Joe

Joe, I feel your pain. My small shop space also requires me to move my tools around and I haven't found any mobile bases with four swiveling casters. I will probably make my own and use poly casters with double locking wheels.

My supermax drum sander has the bench dog casters on them that swivel 360 degrees on all 4 casters. Very smooth and easy to roll around. I'm not sure of the exact weight capacity on those but I'm sure you can look it up.

You might consider stands with no wheels and purchase a mini-pallet jack to move your machines around. You only have one set of wheels in your shop and moving any size or weight machine is easy. The money you save not having to purchase good quality wheels will more than pay for the pallet jack.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

Hi Joe, I would suggest no casters at all.

I find that the semi-live skid design with a tow bar works best, as the machine steers very well and doesn't try to move when you're using it.

If you look at a lift truck, they have rear wheel steering to minimize their turning radius, this is exactly what makes the semi live skid design so maneuverable.

I've included a link to one I made, regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...31+mobile+base

Hi Joe, I would suggest no casters at all.

I find that the semi-live skid design with a tow bar works best, as the machine steers very well and doesn't try to move when you're using it.

If you look at a lift truck, they have rear wheel steering to minimize their turning radius, this is exactly what makes the semi live skid design so maneuverable.

I've included a link to one I made, regards, Rod.
    Hey Rod,

Do you have any interest in coming out to San Francisco to visit and maybe bringing your welder with you? :-) Glad to act as tour guide! I have never worked metal and I am very jealous of that skill! Maybe someday - I still have to learn to cut dovetails first.

That idea of the fixed base and the J bar is a very intriguing one. I need to move these things frequently. I have my jointer, planer, band saw, drill press, oscillating sander, and drum sander all on bases that I pull in and out, and they drive me nuts! The space is so tight that the wheel bolts on each base lock up with each other and cause grief. I know I should downsize, I had to cram my very comfy and wonderful shop from my basement back in Massachusetts into my 2 car garage here. I can't complain (well, actually I am, but please forgive me) - the weather here is perfect just about every day, I haven't seen a mosquito in 15 years, and I don't have to shovel snow. So there certainly are advantages. It is so hard to give up a tool that has contributed to everything I have made in the past. I am a memory hoarder...!

Anyway - all the help from everyone is much appreciated. This board is my #1 woodworking resource, much much appreciated folks!

Joe

Pallet Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hey Folks,

I am in the market for a few rolling bases for my Jet 14" band saw, my Jet 17" drill press, and my Dewalt lunchbox planer. If there is one out there for my 6" Jet planer I would be very interested as well.

I moved a while while back from a gorgeous spacious basement shop where I had the very large and comfortable amount of space for all my "stationary" power tools. I am now in a Bay Area (SF Bay) two car garage shop that has many space challenges. The biggest challenge is maneuverability of the equipment. Most of the original stands only provide two articulating casters, and trying to move them in and out of tight parking spaces is rough.

Are there after market mobile bases with more maneuverable casters? Of course they need to lock well once in position so that I am not chasing the machine with the work piece in hand.

Any my suggestions much appreciated.

Joe
    Ditto on the Pallet jack. I use a full size one to move my 48" Unisaw,it's outfeed table, a welding table that has a 4'x8'x 1" thick steel plate top, an 8" jointer, RAS. I need the full size jack for my welding table but you can get narrower and probably shorter ones. I made custom pallets for the woodworking tools out of doubled up 2x4's ripped to the minimum height for the jack and covered with plywood. Because the jointer is narrow I just put one leg of the jack under it and lift it only enough to scoot around so it can't tip.
    Chris

I really like that set up that Rob has/built. You might take a look at the stand that Dewalt sells for their planers. It has two fixed wheels like Rob's with a single swivel caster in front which can be deactivated with a foot lever. You can install the foot lever inside the frame so that nothing sticks out. It won't be appropriate for all machines, but certainly your planer.

I gave up on the "manufactured" bases and now make my own. 2x4 VGF with 4 swivel locking casters from Woodcraft. Very mobile in any direction and then just toe down on two casters and that sucker is not going to move.

SuperMax 1.JPG

TP300castors.jpg

I saw this picture a guy posted at Felder forum, the machine is Martin J/P. I think it is the best mobility kit I have even seen. It only raises the machine half inch from the floor, the casters make the move (any direction) effortless. You can pay someone to make the steel base, then you install the Zambus levelling casters.

I also saw another thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...83#post2078583 about mobility kit. You can use steel tubing and Zambus levelling casters to make the base like below by yourself.

Bandsaw mobile base5_resize.jpg
    Last edited by James Zhu; 12-01-2015 at 8:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    You might consider stands with no wheels and purchase a mini-pallet jack to move your machines around. You only have one set of wheels in your shop and moving any size or weight machine is easy. The money you save not having to purchase good quality wheels will more than pay for the pallet jack.
    One challenge to this solution is the need to find somewhere for the mini-pallet jack to hang out when it's not being used. Plus, while they are pretty maneuverable, pallet jacks still have two fixed wheels. The tighter the shop, the less useful this situation. The taller the user, the more useful, because the increase in tool height can be a benefit for taller folk. (Flip side applies of course.) All in all, it's definitely a viable solution for some folks.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    TP300castors.jpg

I saw this picture a guy posted at Felder forum, the machine is Martin J/P. I think it is the best mobility kit I have even seen. It only raises the machine half inch from the floor, the casters make the move (any direction) effortless. You can pay someone to make the steel base, then you install the Zambus levelling casters.

I also saw another thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...83#post2078583 about mobility kit. You can use steel tubing and Zambus levelling casters to make the base like below by yourself.

Bandsaw mobile base5_resize.jpg
    Good option, if 1/2" is adequate lift clearance.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sanford View Post
    Good option, if 1/2" is adequate lift clearance.
    Lift clearance can be adjusted by lowering the bracket for casters mounting based on the flatness of the floor, I would think 1 inch should work for most garage shop.