Thread: Monogram on Quilt Rack

Monogram on Quilt Rack

I have been recruited to help a family member build a quilt rack for his wife. He is a novice woodworker and so I will be providing the "how" for the the project.

He would like to incorporate a monogram (I believe this is the correct term) in the form of the letter "S" on each side of it. This is along the lines of the popular decorating technique that I am sure many of our wives use; where the first letter of the family surname in a fancy script is used as an accent. At first I thought I would just engrave it with a router, but none of the lettering templates I have seen have any artistic factor at all. So what would you recommend? It will most likely be made from Cherry with an Danish Oil finish.

Create a stencil and paint it on?

Have a custom decal made and then Poly over it?

I am not a crafty person at all, I'm a casework guy!

I would rout it, using a pantograph, so you can print out an enlarged, Old English probably, letter "S" and get the details correct and miniaturized.

doc
    As Cort would say: Fools are the only folk on the earth who can absolutely count on getting what they deserve.

Pantograph would work, but get some practice on something before doing the rack.

If you want to keep it hand-made, get some decal sheets, (clear or white) and design/print some yourself. They really are easy to do.
    I put clearcoat on them before applying.

0602011944.jpg
    You can buy a pack with both types paper
    http://www.amazon.com/Clear-White-De...lear+and+white
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 12-01-2015 at 10:35 AM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

How bout scroll sawing something out of 1/4" wood of matching or contrasting wood?

You might consider carving the letter into the wood. The carving strokes left by the chisels are part of the look, which is very much hand-made. A hand-weaver would appreciate that.
    Carving just one letter isn't all that difficult. A couple of sharp chisels and a hammer is really all it takes.

Follow up question/comments. . .

If I used a pantograph, which I may not on this project but may in the future. What type of bit is recommended, especially when making large letters that would require removing more than just one diameter's worth of material. In my head I am thinking a 45 degree bit for the outline and just a flat bit to hog out the rest of it. But in practice I am not sure how you would get that to all work out.

I like the scroll sawing idea. In this case do you just face glue the pieces together with regular wood glue?

I am not sure he has the skills to carve and I know I don't, especially a large letter.

For a one time deal like this, depending on the friends artistic talent, I would consider finding someone with a laser or CNC to do it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Jacob,
    Can you pare a joint with a chisel? If so, you can carve a single letter with a V-gouge or chisel. Try one on a piece of scrap. Cherry is a good wood for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    For a one time deal like this, depending on the friends artistic talent, I would consider finding someone with a laser or CNC to do it.
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. You could make the monogram as elaborate or as simple as you want, the CNC doesn't care.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

What is the best way to seek out services like that? (CNC work) I know places that do CNC Metalworking but not wood.

Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    What is the best way to seek out services like that? (CNC work) I know places that do CNC Metalworking but not wood.
    Check with local cabinet shops; more of them are starting to use CNC routers and may be able to work in a small project for cheap. Check with any local woodworkers' guild also - they'll likely know of any members who have a CNC router.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE="Jacob Robinson";2497875] It will most likely be made from Cherry with an Danish Oil finish.[/QUOTE]

Unless your Danish oil hardens completely the oil will stain the quilt and ruin it.

If you need design ideas I have made several [URL="http://home.earthlink.net/~us71na/quiltrack.html"]quilt racks[/URL].
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by "Jacob Robinson" View Post
    Become a contributor for $6.00 and place an ad in our classifieds section. There are a number of people here with CNC equipment
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

You can also click on the red "Friends of the Creek" button at the top of the page and search for CNC router.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney