Thread: Rustic Walnut Slab Bench - Welded + Bolted

Rustic Walnut Slab Bench - Welded + Bolted

Hi Guys,

I am new to the site. I have been doing metalwork (wedling/fabricating) for a few years, and wanting to get into woodworking. Built a new shop, and got fortunate to have a guy down the street from the new shop had some large slabs of walnut and mahogany. I don't have any way to joint/plane/mill, so just used it rough.

The one thing I learned is that if you don't have planned/jointed surfaces you can't have a glue joint that doesn't have a noticeable seam...

Very Cool project and the production quality of the video was quite enjoyable,

Ron

Man I hate it when the "new guys" come to this site!!
    Now I want to throw all my fancy tools into the pond.
    NICE work, great video.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

The ability to mix steel and iron work with the traditional woodworking skills just adds a whole new dimension to furniture design. Nice work!

Very nice work and video. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Man I hate it when the "new guys" come to this site!!
    Now I want to throw all my fancy tools into the pond.
    NICE work, great video.

Bruce
    Lol, Thanks Bruce, but clearly anyone can make something "rustic" but just doing some rough cuts and sanding. It takes great skill to make something super nice with advanced jointery, etc. Which is what I am looking forward to getting into as soon as I get some new "fancy tools" as you put it!

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    The ability to mix steel and iron work with the traditional woodworking skills just adds a whole new dimension to furniture design. Nice work!
    Thanks Art. Agree with you that that the right amout of steel can accent wood pieces. I have to resit overdoing it, because the beauty of nice hardwoods stands on its own. Appreciate it!
    Last edited by Gary Ramsey; 12-01-2015 at 7:30 PM.

I really enjoyed this. Thanks for sharing it and I have always liked the mix of metal with wood. Wish I had more metalworking ability.

Bob

How much room do you have in that workshop. That's what I need, space.
    Great bench.

Howard Boehm
    Pictures of Projects can be seen by clicking on My Profile and then Clicking on Howard Boehm's Home Page.

Tools: I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.