Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trivets

Trivets

Let me preface by saying until 5 minutes ago when SWMBO texted me and told me she needs a set ASAP, I had no idea what one was. I never knew those under-the-pot thingies even had a name.

That being said... is there a standard size for these things? And what is the recommended finish, since they apparently sit under hot pots?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

I would be interested in plans. designs, sizes also. Could we think of these as very thin, small, cutting boards?

We used to make bulletin boards in the shop I worked in a number of years ago. The boards were just 1/4" masonite with cork contact cemented to them. Most times we had left overs and cut them up for hot plates (trivets). No particular size, 4"X4", 5"X5", etc., just whatever we could get out of the scraps. We'd give them away to whomever wanted some. SWMBO has been using some I brought home about 10 years ago.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I have a number of them in my kitchen cabinet, they're cheaper to buy than to make. Usually unfinished oak, maple, or cherry. Most often seen with a criss-cross hatch pattern rather than solid. Yes, they can get hot.

Sizes vary depending on the pot or pan you need to put it under. Ask the wife what she wants...

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cullen View Post
    Ask the wife what she wants...
    I did.

Her response: "Trivets. You figure the rest out."
    Bill R., somewhere in Maine

Here are some examples of trivets I make and sell. They were cut on a CNC router but they may give you some ideas on how you could make some, especially the Walnut over Maple one. These are 7 inches and are cork backed. I have found that lacquer will not stand up to the heat of a dish right out of the oven, even though it is the most attractive. I use polyurethane instead for durability. Click to expand.

DSC_0471.jpgDSC_0479.jpgDSC_0058.jpg

trivet.jpg
    pretty basic - i used a RAS with dado blade - cut dado's slightly more than 1/2 thickness on a regular (or not) spacing - flip and dado backside @ 90 degrees - easy peasy.

take 2 pieces of scrap of opposing wood and glue them up - top & bottom different colors

all you want is some air flow to help cool pot bottom and keep it off heat sensitive counters - picture shows trivet larger than the pot - that is not necessary - as long as it is big enough to keep the pot stable overhang is not a bad thing

be thankful for the requirement - trivets are a ton easier than cutting boards

I made some just like Erik did. Used the router table with a 1/4" bit, and indexed the fence.
    I used maple and cherry. Mineral oil coating. 8 years ago, and we still used them almost every day.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

That trivet is very attractive and should be easy to build with either a dado set or a router table. She ought to be very pleased with that. You might even try laminating two species of wood together and then cutting that out in a cross hatch pattern. It might look really good. Hmmm - I think I will try that. I'm always looking for new designs.

Incra has some free plans that may be good inspiration. http://www.incrementaltools.com/Free...49.htm#trivets Don't necessarily need an Incra fence, aAs Myk said, just index the fence for similar results. I also have made some that folded--basically 3/4 x 1/4 stock, laminate 3 pieces but don't glue the center part. A few band saw cuts and the sections free like scissors. I'll try to hunt some pictures.

earl

my trivet

You can also use alternate materials; I think it's a great place for a stone or tile in combination with wood. Here is a picture of one of mine that we use every day. The wood is mahogany, the stone is a piece of granite I got from somewhere....maybe one of the turning suppliers. Occasionally I'll walk down the tile aisle at Home Depot, and if one strikes my fancy, I'll get it to make a trivet around. You can also get other natural stones; I have some slate I got from LV that is awaiting incorporation into some sort of trivet. Fun, straightforward, useful project.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ken--what adhesive do you use for the stone? I sure like that look, and 4 x 4" tiles with a 1" border is a nice size.

earl

I made some similar to Erik's using plans from Woodsmith #41. Gave a bunch of sets out over 20 years ago. Most are still in use today...While not as nice looking plywood is more stable on the heat than solid wood, some wood species have a tendency to warp after several years with the heat.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Blog Entries
    As you notice, the wooden ones have an open pattern to dissipate heat. Mine are about 7" square.

Cuttboard and Trivet (4).jpg

This one is made with a router and a shop made arc jig. I have also made lattice types.

trivet (4).jpg

I finish with mineral oil.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Earl, I used something called "RTV silicone adhesive", works well, my local Ace has it. I'm not sure where I came up with that product, possibly from the glue recommendation site "thistothat"?

BTW, one of the things that's neat about using stone is that it holds the heat, so it helps keep the pot or whatever warm.

Ken