Thread: Router pattern bit

Router pattern bit

I am in the market for a pattern bit with a bearing on top for use in a router table. It will need to shape
    1 3/4 thick stock. I am looking for some suggestions on brands & suppliers.
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

I would go with Whiteside. Made in the USA. Quality bits that I've seen sell for less than Bosch bits or Freud bits on Amazon.

In a router table, I imagine a flush trim is what you're looking for as that will have the bearing on top of the cutter since it's upside down.

If you have prime, then Amazon is good. Carbide processors is great. They offer a discount to creekers.

Thanks for the response. Do I want a spiral up- cut or down-cut? Do l want straight 2 or 3 flute?
    i am making rockers and would like nice clean cut. I have used straight 2 flute with good results.
    i would like to have a high quality bit for repeatable results. Again this will be used in the router table.

I have a cmt 806.690 bit that works great for me. It has both top and bottom bearings which I like because I can flip the work piece when the grain changes directions to avoid tearout. I see that amazon has it on sale for way less than I paid.

I'm with Michael on the flush trim bit. It will allow you to adjust the height of the bit to suit the work piece. I would suggest up-cut to help keep the piece pulled down to the table instead of being pushed up from it and more flutes equal smoother cuts but is also more costly.