Thread: Dust Collector Configuration

Dust Collector Configuration

Bear with me here as I know dust collection gets beat to death. So I bought the HF 2hp dust collector and have a question before I start assembly, which there really isn't much to it. If you had a blank canvas for dust collection, small hobbyist shop, run one tool at a time: Would you assemble as designed or would you change the configuration and customize it? If you have done this do you have any pictures?

Thanks,
    Andy K.
    Andy Kertesz

" Impaled on nails of ice, raked by emerald fire"...... King Crimson '71

Andrew, here is a link I started a few weeks back. I am very satisfied with my setup. Hope it helps

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...nfused-like-me

There is a ton of information out there in customizing HF DC's. I'd customize it first, unless you have an immediate need to have it up and running right away.

Scott's configuration makes a lot of sense to me. I tried three different filtering methods on my little DC in my last shop and I didn't really like any of them. The final is a pleated filter and the only thing really wrong with it was the need to clean it. I'm really impressed by the dust deputy cyclone from Oneida on my shop vac and would do that on the DC if I decide to set one up in my new shop. I would also duct the exhaust outside, I really don't like cleaning filters. That almost isn't necessary with the dd but from what I've read the super dust deputy doesn't get quite as much of the dust as the dd so more filter cleaning is required. But if you can exhaust outside, I think that is they way to go. If not, then a pleated filter good down to as small as you can financially support is my recommendation (my shop vac has a HEPA filter).

When I first started using my little 1 hp Delta DC I used the stock bags. I would not do that again. It gets the chips but just circulates the fine dust all over the shop. When we moved that shop was terrible to get somewhat clean. Once you crud up your shop this way, it is very hard to recover from. I wouldn't run a dc with anything worse than a 1 micron filter. Some good bags are rated about this small as are the decent filter cartridges.
    Last edited by Jim Dwight; 12-05-2015 at 9:28 AM.

Andrew,

Just saw this thread. Here is what I built for a garage shop. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...able-SDD-build