Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New powermatic 3520b. Which chuck is best, safest, easiest to use

New powermatic 3520b. Which chuck is best, safest, easiest to use

I have never used a chuck on any lathe. I just got a 3520b and wanna spring for a chuck. I am thinking oneway. Thoughts??

2. Oneway Stronghold is a good choice if you are going with the Oneway brand.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

At least you didn't ask which lathe is best, safest, easiest to use...you might have got a lot of subjective replies. I think you will find loyal supporters of several brands that each have there merits and some personal preferences. I have heard good things about Vicmarc, Bulldog, Hurricane and Oneway. I have Stronghold ones and like them. I have used a Bulldog one at the MAW and it seemed like a quality chuck.

I have all Vicmark chucks. I don't think Oneway was in business when I got my first one, and I stayed with the brand. My other consideration now would be the quick change chuck, which I think is from Easy Wood tools. Nova has one, but as near as I can tell, the Easy Wood one works better. From Stuart Batty, 'The difference between a British turner and an American turner, The Brit has 1 chuck with 10 sets of jaws. The American has 10 chucks each with a different set of jaws.' If you have to remove the screws to change out jaws, it is time consuming. The Quick change chuck really changes that. There is a thread down about the bottom of this page about quick change chucks.

robo hippy

Vicmarc or Oneway. I'm a Oneway guy myself.

Got started with Nova, have 3 SN2 and 1 Titan. Amazon has SN2 at about$120 shipped free today. Worked good for me.

I have a 3520B and I really like my Supernova chucks. In fact I just ordered one today since they are on sale at Amazon.

Oneway for me, have used them for 20+ years, nothing better out there, lots of CC (Cheap Chinese) out there though.
    Have fun and take care

A SuperNova 2 will work fine until you figure out what you really need/want.

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Big Lathe = Big Chuck. It's the size of the turning and not the lathe size that dictates which size chuck is appropriate. I have Oneway Talon and Stronghold chucks as well as Vicmarc 100 and 120 chucks. I estimate that 95% of the time I use the smaller size chucks if the piece is 16 inches or less in diameter. The smaller size chucks hold every bit as well as the larger chucks ... plus, it is easier to work close to the bottom of the piece if the Chuck body isn't blocking tool access. Occasionally, even the biggest chuck isn't adequate and that is where you will still need to use a faceplate. I have on a few occasions turned some pieces over 24 inches in diameter and I felt much safer starting out using a large faceplate.
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    A SuperNova 2 will work fine until you figure out what you really need/want.
    Or it may turn out to be just what you need/want.

One advantage of Nova chucks is that jaws can be used on any Nova chuck, whatever its size. Oneway jaws fit a particular size chuck. I don't know about other brands.

I do use a Stronghold for large things, but that's as much an accident of history as intentional decision. Now I use it since it's what I've had since the very early days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Boehme View Post
    Don't fall into the trap of thinking that Big Lathe = Big Chuck. It's the size of the turning and not the lathe size that dictates which size chuck is appropriate. I have Oneway Talon and Stronghold chucks as well as Vicmarc 100 and 120 chucks. I estimate that 95% of the time I use the smaller size chucks if the piece is 16 inches or less in diameter. The smaller size chucks hold every bit as well as the larger chucks ... plus, it is easier to work close to the bottom of the piece if the Chuck body isn't blocking tool access.
    Indeed! I regularly use Nova G3s on a Powermatic for spindle turning -- ease of access to the area close to chuck is a big reason.

I had a Nova then moved to Hurricane HTC100 and just ordered an HTC125. They are very hefty and more economical than most others.

Mike

(forgot to mention that as a new turner I also chose Hurricane because at the time they offered the HTC 100 with I think 7 or 8 jaw sets for a very economical price. Maybe call them and see.)
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 12-06-2015 at 9:59 AM.

Bill is absolutely correct , keep in mind that depending on what size work you will be doing each set of jaws has a different grip range. I have a Stronghold (great chuck) and an older lathe with a 12" swing. I got the Stronghold because Oneway was/is the only company making an insert specifically for my lathe and only for the Stronghold chuck. The minimum grip for the #2 (50mm) jaws is 2" and there are no #1 jaws for this chuck but they do make spigot jaws. I hate using the spigot jaws for an external grip , the work piece usually breaks free if you remove the tailstock for support such as when turning a small finial. Can't use the #2 jaws unless the wood is large enough to use a 2" tenon. This always leaves me wanting a smaller chuck when turning smaller items including bowls as there are times I would like to use a recess on some instead of a tenon. A 2" recess on the small bowl IMHO looks horrible so I use tenons all the time. I had a HF lathe before this and a PSI chuck , gripping smaller stuff with it was not an issue as the jaws had a smaller grip range. I would like to have something like the Sorby Patriot to go along with the Oneway. The Patriot has 25mm and 35mm jaws available and the Oneway doesn't have that option.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Mark me down as a fan of the Oneway chucks. I am really fond of the Talons. I have used them on platters up to 23" in dia. I like to have 4 chucks for each one of my lathes. I really hate to change jaws. I use the #2 jaws in the expansion mode for my platter work. Whichever chuck you choose, stay with that brand.
    Joe