Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Returning to woodworking with a new shop

1. Returning to woodworking with a new shop

I recently bought a home with a large 1/3 acre lot and plenty of room for a shop. There was an existing 15 X 15’ structure in the back yard which I wanted to expand on and use as a woodworking shop. After having a few contractors look at the structure I decided to have it torn down and build a new shop structure. I created a scaled drawing of the shop and my tools to determine an efficient layout and where I will need power and how much. Placement of windows, lighting, doors, ventilation, dust collection etc. The 18’ X 26’ shop will feature a cement slab with driveway access and wood frame structure, 8’ roll up door, standard man door, 2 windows, framed hole for window AC, insulated vaulted ceiling, scissor truss design, insulated walls with wood siding, sheet rock interior walls. plenty of 110 & 220 power in wall, floor and ceiling locations.

When I begain getting quotes on the demolition and construction I was a bit shocked at the price and thought I might have to scrap the whole idea. I found it really pays to get as many quotes as you can as The highest came in at $61,000 and the lowest at $39,000. I accepted the lowest of the estimates and work begain promptly and was complete in about 5 weeks. I have photos below of the process and results, starting with demolition of the old structure. Once complete I installed norfab dust collection at a cost of about $4,000.

shed2alt_zpsda7a8331.jpg imag.jpg imag.jpg imag.jpg imag.jpg imag.jpg

imag.jpg imag.jpg
    Express Creativity With Wood.

2. A few more photos.

imag.jpg imag.jpg imag.jpg imag.jpg

Sweet. But, no shop is complete without a lathe. Enjoy it.
    Joe

Wow. Very impressive. I keep thinking to myself, someday, someday!

Very nice and I don't think I could have waited to share until after the project was complete. You must have the patience of Job. I'm curious as to the cost here. I'm a bit shocked at the $39k price. What state do you live in?

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Bradshaw View Post
    Sweet. But, no shop is complete without a lathe. Enjoy it.
    Joe
    one of thse days Joe. I havent used one of those spinny things yet.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Very nice and I don't think I could have waited to share until after the project was complete. You must have the patience of Job. I'm curious as to the cost here. I'm a bit shocked at the $39k price. What state do you live in?
    Kent, I am in Vacaville CA. I spared no expense on the electrical and insolation. 100 amp panel with each receptical on it's own breaker.

Nothin' prettier than a nice shiny new workshop.

Congrats
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hey Dewayne,

Man I am jealous. What a gorgeous shop. When you first said "a 1/3 acre lot" and then "Plenty of space for a shop" I was a little surprised. Then you said Vacaville and it all fell right into line. I moved out here (Bay Area) in 2004. I came from 2 acre zoning in Massachusetts, and I now live in an area where a 7000 sq ft lot is considered large. I am still feeling a bit claustrophobic. I had to take my large footprint basement shop and squeeze it into my 2 car garage. I did it though, and similar to you - I am now getting back into woodworking. I would love to see your shop someday - we aren't far apart. I am in the east bay in Hayward. Drop me a PM and maybe we can share notes.

Joe

Ah, there is nothing more exciting than seeing a new building come together, especially a new shop! Thank you for the photos. Yours looks fantastic. (I do second the opinion about a lathe!!)

I started building mine about 3 years ago and am just now finishing up. Of course, working without a deadline and with a crew of one takes a little longer. :-) My architect (me), contractor (me), dirt mover (me), carpenter (me) and electrician (me) all worked for free so that saved a lot. The customer (me) is happy. My shop is multipurpose (office, farm animal health, woodturning, flat wood, welding, electronics, machining, beekeeping, and maintenance!) so I had to stretch it some. I dug a trench to run 100 amps 250ft underground.

But I got the same sense of satisfaction on this building as I got when I put up a 20x20 shop in the 70s and a 16x16 shop in the 90s. There is nothing like setting up a new building. (About to build a new barn here.)

Hey, I just noticed what was wrong with your pictures - I can't see any shavings on the floor. Oh right, no lathe yet!

JKJ

11. Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    Hey Dewayne,

Man I am jealous. What a gorgeous shop. When you first said "a 1/3 acre lot" and then "Plenty of space for a shop" I was a little surprised. Then you said Vacaville and it all fell right into line. I moved out here (Bay Area) in 2004. I came from 2 acre zoning in Massachusetts, and I now live in an area where a 7000 sq ft lot is considered large. I am still feeling a bit claustrophobic. I had to take my large footprint basement shop and squeeze it into my 2 car garage. I did it though, and similar to you - I am now getting back into woodworking. I would love to see your shop someday - we aren't far apart. I am in the east bay in Hayward. Drop me a PM and maybe we can share notes.

Joe

Sure thing I'd like that. We,re inside city limits in a quiet court so yeah, 1/3 acre lot is nice size here.

12. Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Ah, there is nothing more exciting than seeing a new building come together, especially a new shop! Thank you for the photos. Yours looks fantastic. (I do second the opinion about a lathe!!)

I started building mine about 3 years ago and am just now finishing up. Of course, working without a deadline and with a crew of one takes a little longer. :-) My architect (me), contractor (me), dirt mover (me), carpenter (me) and electrician (me) all worked for free so that saved a lot. The customer (me) is happy. My shop is multipurpose (office, farm animal health, woodturning, flat wood, welding, electronics, machining, beekeeping, and maintenance!) so I had to stretch it some. I dug a trench to run 100 amps 250ft underground.

But I got the same sense of satisfaction on this building as I got when I put up a 20x20 shop in the 70s and a 16x16 shop in the 90s. There is nothing like setting up a new building. (About to build a new barn here.)

Hey, I just noticed what was wrong with your pictures - I can't see any shavings on the floor. Oh right, no lathe yet!

JKJ
    I'm not into carpentry and construction and too busy with my job and family so I just pay the price. We got the home for about $150,000 less than we where prepared to pay for something comparable so the shop was in the budget. The floors stay pretty clean as I have 3 helpers (kids) age 7-9. they are constantly wanting to vacuum. imag.jpg
    Last edited by Dewayne Baker; 12-09-2015 at 9:44 AM.

Dewayne,

Please tell me all about your experience with the Norfab ducting. I'm considering it, but holy smokes it ain't cheap.

Thanks!!
    Peter

Sweet! Fast work!

15. Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Dewayne,

Please tell me all about your experience with the Norfab ducting. I'm considering it, but holy smokes it ain't cheap.

Thanks!!
    Peter
    Hi peter, I felt the same about the price. As they say, better to buy quality once than cheap and regret your decision to save money. The snap lock system is great as it's easy to install and interchangeable. I bought a few extra pieces for interchangeability and reconfiguration later. I did not buy their blast gates as they are pricey and I already had some from Rockler. Just attach them with flex and clamps. To order the system I sent them a accurate drawing of my intended layout and they emailed me a parts order to build the system. I discussed the order with a rep who answered all my questions over the phone. The order arrived in a timely manor by freight truck. It all shipped in a giant 5x5x7' box on a pallet. Freight driver wheeled it right into my shop. If you happen to live in CA. I can offer you a free test drive. LOL. Hope this helps.