Thread: Loud Air Compressor - Dewalt D55141

Loud Air Compressor - Dewalt D55141

So I have finally got my shop to where I feel pretty comfortable. Still a few things to work on, but I have spots for the tools and I have started making a case for my hand tools. I have noticed something though - I am very reluctant to use my Dewalt D55141 air compressor because it is loud as hell, and its a really grating kind of angry noise. The spec says it is only 75 Db., but I am skeptical. I cannot have a conversation when it is on, and it being a 1 gallon tank means it runs fairly regularly. I would like to consider a change, or a means of quieting it down some. Any suggestions?

If you have your own newer compressor and are happy with the noise it makes inside your shop, would you reply and let me know the model? Thanks Folks.

Joe

I just got a Rolair JC10.It is pretty quiet and easier to move around than my Ridgid twin stack.

RolAir, JC 10, here also. It will run most smaller air tools and nailers. not enough for painting and spraying though, unless you put 2 or 3 in parallel.
    It's quiet enough that you can easily maintain a conversation, in a normal tone of voice, with it running in a small room. You won't be shouting over it, or need hearing protection.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 12-07-2015 at 5:35 PM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Joe Beaulieu;2500441 The spec says it is only 75 Db., but I am skeptical. [/QUOTE]

Sound pressure levels are only useful if they give a distance from the source of the noise generator that the reading was taken. A jet engine is only about 10 Db if you are a mile away, but is considerably louder if you are right next to it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Bought a Rolair JC10 about a week ago based on recommendations here on the Creek. Haven't used it enough to speak to its capabilities, but it is remarkably quiet.

Joe, can't help with recommendations (I use a 5 hp 60 gal Ingersol Rand) but you can quiet any compressor with an insulated cabinet. Many people build a closet to house air compressors and dust collectors. I put a 4x8 closet in my new shop with 6" staggered-stud insulated walls and even with the cyclone running (and it is LLOOUUDD) the sound in the shop itself is quite low, I can hear the radio and carry on a conversation without raising my voice.

Seems to me it would be pretty simple to insulate a small compressor. Could even make a simple box to set over it, nothing fancy and even without a hinged door. There is a lot of discussion about sound insulation over on the ClearVu cyclone forum.

JKJ

There is a thought John. I still have a corner of my garage that I have piled with musical equipment from my band days. I am going to liquidate it, and make some room. I could build a sound deadened chamber in that corner, and then pipe the DC out and keep both in that corner with a vent to the outside. I may go down that path a bit and see where it leads. I think a new compressor would add to the quiet. My Jet DC1200 is a loud beast, but I don't think there are too many options there without spending some major coin.

I love hanging out on this board - it makes focusing on work a bit tough though. Anybody looking to hire a FT lurker by any chance?

JB

There are some exceptions but mostly Dewalt = crap. Not always, but assume it is crap until proven otherwise. Regardless, it is part of Stanley Black and Decker so if it isn't crap now, it will likely become crap later as they work under the premise of "if it is good, make it cheaper or discontinue it". The big exceptions seem to be Vidmar and Lista, but you know they are working on it.

Generally, a direct drive compressor like the dewalt you have is going to be loud. That Rolair JC-10 might be nicer but it's pretty expensive. I switched to a belt-drive piston pump style compressor on wheels. These are a lot quieter in my experience. If you have a couple sq ft of floor space, this is the way to go. Can easily be found used for $150 or less. Nice to have a bigger tank sometimes, too, for those times when you are blowing dust off something, or running an impact wrench. Runs less often then. My workshop is a dual use space though - mechanical and woodworking.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Beaulieu View Post
    There is a thought John. I still have a corner of my garage that I have piled with musical equipment from my band days. I am going to liquidate it, and make some room. I could build a sound deadened chamber in that corner, and then pipe the DC out and keep both in that corner with a vent to the outside. I may go down that path a bit and see where it leads. I think a new compressor would add to the quiet. My Jet DC1200 is a loud beast, but I don't think there are too many options there without spending some major coin.

I love hanging out on this board - it makes focusing on work a bit tough though. Anybody looking to hire a FT lurker by any chance?

JB
    That would be my suggestion too. A lot of people have built a little room either onto the outside of the shop, or inside the shop for the compressor and DC and soundproofed it as much as we can. I have no idea if my compressor is even running, it's entirely silent.

Access to air compressor controls

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    T. A lot of people have built a little room either onto the outside of the shop, or inside the shop for the compressor and DC. I have no idea if my compressor is even running, it's entirely silent.
    One suggestion to consider for those planning a sound dampening closet: I put an electrical disconnect switch outside the dust collector/air compressor room. It's on the wall in the main shop where I can easily turn it off before I close up for the day (or leave for vacation!) I worry that if something springs a leak the air compressor might run continuously while I'm gone. I bought a heavy duty 220v switch rated for a 5 hp motor.

I also decided to bring the air line from the compressor through the wall and put the air cut-off valve, dryers, regulator, and valves out in the main room too. This picture is from down the hallway but it shows what I came up with. The output goes to three valves to air lines plumbed into the walls for quick-connect outlets spaced around the main shop, in the other rooms in the shop, and outside.

This way I can control the power, monitor tank and regulator pressures, and have easy access to cut-off valves without having to go into, or remember to go into the closet to check.

air_comp_ctrls_IMG_20150124.jpg

JKJ