Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Walnut credenza

Blog Entries
    Very Nice!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

That has a really "classic" look! Very nice!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse Brown View Post
    I was aiming for a mid-century modern look, but I made it up as I went along and did my best to turn mistakes into opportunities. I'm sick of edging plywood now

Attachment 326692
    While I'm not a fan of modern style, your execution looks amazing! Nice work. I can always appreciate the work and craftsmanship that go into a piece, even if it isn't to my particular taste. The bookmatching is quite striking. Is that stretcher a single piece through the middle leg?

Looks really nice. Waaay better in your home than in your shop.

Enjoy it always.
    Sometimes decisions from the heart are better than decisions from the brain.

Enjoy Life...

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Lindberry View Post
    While I'm not a fan of modern style, your execution looks amazing! Nice work. I can always appreciate the work and craftsmanship that go into a piece, even if it isn't to my particular taste. The bookmatching is quite striking. Is that stretcher a single piece through the middle leg?
    Thanks for the kind words. No, the stretcher is two pieces attached with loose tenons. The doors came from a sheet of plywood, so I can't take credit for the bookmatch, but I did spend some time deciding how to highlight the interesting parts. The sapwood was in the middle of the sheet, so the trick was laying the doors out without wasting the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
    That's beautiful, and the doors take it to a whole 'nother level. Clean work is a must on such a simple design and yours looks top notch. Congratulations. I like that coffee table, too.

John
    Thank you! I winged the coffee table too, but I wasn't feeling super confident, so I used poplar. In the end, I liked the way it looked, so I did my best to dye it a color to go with other things in the house. Staining that thing was a fussy job that I didn't enjoy much, but it turned out ok.

Beautiful done on the book matching. And fits right in with the table and sofa

Best,
    C
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

As a fan of mid century I have to say , while your work looks fabulous, your design is even better ! Outstanding !

( Craftsmanship is one thing, having an eye for proportions in DESIGN is entirely another)

You have nailed it buddy !

Blog Entries
    I think you hit the mark for mid-century modern. Very nicely done.

I grew up around stuff like this in the 50's. I even have some old Paul McCobb stuff leftover from my parents "remodeled" living room circa 1960. This was all birch panels, glued up and primarily used sliding dovetail construction to present the clean simple lines.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-14-2015 at 7:54 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler