Thread: Gold coloring? What would you use?

Gold coloring? What would you use?

I have thought about making the inside of a chalice gold. The outside would either be plain wood or dyed blue or purple.

Has anyone used a gold tint, gold enamel, gold pearlex, or gold lacquer, or solid gold (might be more expensive)?
    I am looking for a bright gold color, not a slight sparkle.

I could add a topcoat over anything that I use.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 12-08-2015 at 2:22 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Gold milk paint perhaps. Or gold leaf if you want the real thing.

I've used gold leaf in the past and put a clear coat over that. While my project was top of an end table (and not the inside of a glass), it has held up quite well. Gold leaf should be available at your local Hobby Lobby (or equivalent) and it's not all that expensive if I recall. Incredibly thin and easy to tear when you apply it-- but go slow and wear gloves (no sweaty fingers sticking, no finger prints) and it's pretty straight forward.
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

The inside of this "box" used to hold a valentine's day present is McCloskey "Special Effects" Metallic Glaze. I have used it on several turnings with good results.
    Heart1.jpg

IMG_1295.JPG

This not gold- but the process is the same and I have used copper and it looks just like copper.

I go to Hobby Lobby and get a container of "extra fine" glitter. The flakes are so small it makes the copper (or gold) look like solid metal. Mix up a load of 2 oart epoxy. Add the glitter to the epoxy mix fairly densely and apply it to the clean turned wood. I turn the piece until it is nearly finished and sanded. Let the epoxy fully set- I usually let it go overnight and then complete the turning sanding to 400. The picture is a mesquite bowl with a large crack. I mixed some turquoise colored extra fine glitter into some 5 minute epoxy, built a dam so the epoxy didn't flow all over the piece and turned it like I normally turn wood. It's pleasant to work with. Again- sand to 400 and finish as you please. I have used wax only, sprayed lacquer, sanding sealer, and water based poly with equal success. The copper I used gave the look of poured copper- very nice. I hope you agree that the picture mimics real turquoise nicely. I have also used pink and dark blue glitter and most recently applied layers of copper and turqoise into a large void in a piece of pecan. It's quite easy to do and the results are excellent. I buy 90z bottles of epoxy in 5, 15, and 30 minute versions depending on the size of the job. If you need to layer the epoxy wipe the cured epoxy down with alcohol to insure a good bond and you can't discern the bond. I like to pour to avoid bubbles but I have use a small pallet knife for thin areas.

Hope this helps. Sorry I don't have a pic of the copper but it really looks great. I don't doubt the gold would look good too- as long as the wood has acclimated fully.

I would use gold leaf.

Hobby Lobby sells Mona Lisa brand (you can also get it on Amazon) - I've used it on a few ornaments, very easy to use.

Or Michaels sells Martha Stewart brand leaf.

I am very happily surprised that I can use gold(ish) leaf!

Fake gold leaf will tarnish fairly quickly. Look for 23kGL with 12hr size.

Composite gold leaf will work well so long as it is quickly sealed to prevent tarnish.

Good, because it is about 15% of the cost of gold leaf.