Thread: Ductwork fitting help

Ductwork fitting help

Help me come up with a fitting to join these 2 6" metal ducts. I'm stumped.

The joists run all the way across but I cut them off to allow for better viewing. The bottom of the joists is my ceiling height. The 90 is directly centered under the main above it and has to stay that way to get clearance. Ideal would have about a .5 inch space between ducts but I can go as much as 2 inches. I Don't have room to go under the beam. ceiling height is a lousy 82 inches with a clearance of 74 inches under the steel beam.

Thanks

duct.jpg
    Last edited by Chad Burkhart; 12-09-2015 at 10:27 AM.

I will have the same issue when I rework my DC this winter (which is also why I have been procrastinating on doing so). I'm interested in see your solution.

What about installing a wye on the main with a 45 degree tilt down from horizontal and a 45 degree elbow (instead of the 90 shown) on a 45 degree up angle? You may have to start the turn in joist earlier.

Anthony

Blog Entries
    I would drop the main run after passing the beam to below the joists and enter the main run with a 45 degree bend and a horizontal wye. Otherwise you are entering the main from the bottom and have an issue with debris dropping down the wye if that run is not in use.
    NOW you tell me...

Plus one for Ole's reply. I have all my Y's horizontal now, as had problems with Y's angled downward.

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I would drop the main run after passing the beam to below the joists and enter the main run with a 45 degree bend and a horizontal wye. Otherwise you are entering the main from the bottom and have an issue with debris dropping down the wye if that run is not in use.
    Didn't think about that. I will have to give it a look and see if I can move stuff around and make it work. I hate low ceilings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad Burkhart View Post
    Didn't think about that. I will have to give it a look and see if I can move stuff around and make it work. I hate low ceilings.
    I hear you. I am 92" to the bottom of my joists and envy those with at least 8 feet. But even with a 7" main duct I have plenty of clearance. And really envy those that thought ahead enough to end up with 9 foot or better ceilings in their basement. When I built in 1975, I thought I was being proactive asking for an extra block over standard basement height at the time, otherwise I would be at 84".
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    I hear you. I am 92" to the bottom of my joists and envy those with at least 8 feet. But even with a 7" main duct I have plenty of clearance. And really envy those that thought ahead enough to end up with 9 foot or better ceilings in their basement. When I built in 1975, I thought I was being proactive asking for an extra block over standard basement height at the time, otherwise I would be at 84".
    I'm drooling over both numbers. I have only 81" height to the bottom of the floor joists.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony Whitesell View Post
    I'm drooling over both numbers. I have only 81" height to the bottom of the floor joists.
    thanks for helping keep things in perspective. I'm glad I have a place to work, low ceilings or not. Or should I say medeium height ceilings. A man can still dream of 12' ceilings can't he?