Thread: G0453PX embedding chips in freshly planed surfaces

G0453PX embedding chips in freshly planed surfaces

I'm not sure if this is a dust collector question or a planer question, but my new Grizz planer is giving me fits! My best guess is that either it is not designed to evacuate chips well or my DC just isn't doing its job, but the rollers embed chips in EVERY freshly-planed surface, and I have to brush/pick/sand them off. My DC is a 2hp Grizzly with the 2.5 micron felt bag on top. My suction line has a home-made, in-line chip separator, but the result is no different if I bypass it. I haven't noticed the bag decreasing airflow, but I did install it shortly after I got the planer. I'm gonna try it this evening with the original bag and see if that makes a difference, but I'm not hopeful. The planer is new and clean - nothing is blocking airflow inside the machine and as best I can tell the DC is working fine, but it just doesn't seem to pick up chips well from this planer. Short of increasing the exhaust flow with a higher-flow bag or filter (assuming that's even an issue) are there any tips y'all can share for improving dust collection on this planer?

Sounds like a DC issue. Close all the gates except the one to the planer, and make sure the bag is clean. I have 2.5 micron bags on my Grizzly DC and it makes a big difference after I shake them clean. I have a bag top and bottom, too, to maximize airflow, with a cyclone in front of the DC to catch the large stuff, and some of the small, too. Make sure the piping is clean and that you have no obstructions anywhere. A 2 HP DC should handle a 15" planer with no problems.

John

have the same issue with my grizzly planer. i think a big part of the problem is the ribs cut on the out feed roller. not only do they imprint on the wood i think they help carry the chips around when they get stuck in the sharp ridges. really bad design: ribbed is fine for an in feed but smooth is preferred on an out feed roller

If you take the hood off your planer, there is a strip of foam rubber across it. Remove the strip of foam rubber. I have the same model of planer and it performs perfectly, but I read about the foam strip and removed it while cleaning up the machine when I received it. My planer collects chips and dust almost perfectly, and I have a 2hp cyclone.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    If you take the hood off your planer, there is a strip of foam rubber across it. Remove the strip of foam rubber. I have the same model of planer and it performs perfectly, but I read about the foam strip and removed it while cleaning up the machine when I received it. My planer collects chips and dust almost perfectly, and I have a 2hp cyclone.
    This is the solution. I had to do the same thing with my G0453Z. No issues after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Andrew View Post
    Don't remove the entire strip - just cut away the inner half of it at the rear (toward the DC port) that is interfering with the flow of chips. It'll be obvious once you get the cover off and look at it.

My G0453Z works just fine with the foam. Well, I assume it has the foam because I haven't removed it.
    Questionable quality control is one thing, but I have trouble believing they would sell thousands of planers with a part that serves no purpose except ruining dust collection.

Thanks a TON guys! I removed the foam strip and it works great now! I could see where part of the foam was eaten away already from the chips hitting it. I don't think it would have lasted long anyway.