Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First walnut in the queue to saw

First walnut in the queue to saw

Not my tree, but I'll be milling it. Biggest walnut I've ever seen. 45" at the small diameter of the trunk. The guy in the picture is 6'3" tall. You can't see real well but there is about 10'+ of straight trunk, and then this MASSIVE HUNK OF TWISTING TURNING CURLY QUILTED BURLY FLAMING FEATHERING crotch!

Wish me luck. I'll be slabbing most of it.

IMG_2131.jpg

IMG_2132.jpg

IMG_2133.jpg

There is some center rot, but still a ton of wood, nonetheless. (Sorry, picture is 90 degrees off)

IMG_3092.jpg

That thing is a monster! It will be difficult sawing but I'll bet there will be some spectacular slabs that come out of it. Keep us updated on your progress. I'm interested to see what's inside.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I have learned that the slabber attachment for my saw is only 1.2 meters wide, which isn't long enough to slab the larger pieces. And, I just ordered two new chains for my slabber, but the chains I ordered were for the 1.5 meter bar. Grrrr.

Still waiting to hear back from Petersons on the price of a 1.5m bar.

I did go ahead with my purchase of a polyester strapping system like what Baileys sells. That will let me keep all the flitches together.

Looks like you are staying occupied Todd. Really looking forward to seeing what the slabs look like
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Todd, if you're not able to mill it with your slabber, look up Brandon Berdoll outside of Austin. He has a very large bandmill and the appropriate handling equipment for a log that size. PM me if you'd like his contact info.

Nice score too!

Scott

Troy Swift at Swift River near Austin as well has greatly expanded his operations to a bigger mill like Berdoll and a second and even larger kiln.

I was able to get a 72" bar through Left Coast Supplies. Should be here this Friday. Then I'll take it to my local machine shop to get it drilled (it's a titanium alloy) so I can add an oiler.

I've seen Brandon advertise on the Houston craigslist. I've never called though. Thanks for the info on him and Troy.

Started slabbing the walnut. 7 logs down and a bunch to go.

It never happened with out pictures; -)

I posted from my phone, and there was no option to add a picture!! I think the software was upgraded and regressed.

OK, OK. Here are the pictures.

This is one of the first slabs we cut. "OK" figure (compared to what we got later)

IMG_2308.jpg

A little water always help with seeing what you have.

IMG_2309.jpg

This was one of the nicer crotches we cut into. Most cuts we made were 3" thick.

IMG_2312.jpg

Another angle. I called this one "walnut crotch doing what walnut crotch does".

IMG_2314.jpg

I called this slab "One Sexy Board". 7.5' tall. We got 3 out of this limb. Some curl going on too in there. This was not the nicest one.

IMG_2315.jpg

When the day was done, we had the larger flitches stickered and strapped, ready for when he gets his trailer over here to take them to the kiln. He took the smaller logs with him in his pickup truck.

IMG_2319.jpg

And, not to be left out, before I took the slabber attachment off until next time I slab, I cut a 5/4 thick piece of my red oak. 8' tall and 36" wide in the middle. I have no idea what I will do with it. I can, however, move it by myself.

IMG_2324.jpg

Thanks for posting. That is some pretty material.

Gorgeous stuff!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

You don't do anything halfway, do you? You get your first mill and then score one of the biggest Walnut trees in captivity. Now you are turning out unbelievable flitches.

Can you tell I'm envious?
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

I'm just cutting what God made!