Thread: Broken headstock repair

Broken headstock repair

I have a chance to purchase a new Epiphone 335 that is in great shape, very cheap. Problem is the headstock has a clean break across the grain, with the D and G tuners separated from the rest of the headstock. I am wondering what the survival rate of this kind of repair is, and what the preferred method for reinforcing the joint. I don't have a good photo to share. I know this is not a high end guitar, but it would be worth making it playable if I can get a dependable repair.
    Last edited by Stan Calow; 12-11-2015 at 6:21 PM. Reason: clarification

I'm not a guitar maker (just a long-time guitar player), but I think that should be easily repairable by adding a few hardwood dowels or a loose tenon (got a Domino?) in the joint and then glue and refinish.

I'm trying to envision a scenario where that type of break occurs without significant damage to the rest of the guitar...

The Epiphone guitars manufactured in and shipping from China experience a fair amount of shipping damage and show up regularly on ebay.

That said, I have purchased a ES339 PRO and a P93 Riviera, both with a crack at the nut for <$200 each..

They play well as is and are a great buy at $200-ish. I may repair mine, if/when i get around to it.

You should google spline headstock repair for the professional approach to such repairs.

Refinishing to hide the repair is the real trick!

Mike

Thanks guys. I can get this one for <$75 which is why I am considering gambling on the repair. I had done some googling for repairs like this, but must not have used the best wording.

Stan,

$75 is a no brainer!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Malott View Post
    Stan,

$75 is a no brainer!

Mike
    Apparently I have no brain. It was gone when I went to close the deal.

The repair itself is fairly simple. The hard part is the cosmetics. The finish they use on most imports is not compatible with anything available in the US so touch-up is pretty much a "Best Effort"!

If it's a clean break, it a very simple fix. I would use Titebond I glue and clamp - the glue is stronger than the wood when it cures. Remove any parts in the way, and let it set properly before reassembling. Or just pack it up and send it to me. :-)
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Uncle Dan may be able to help
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Thanks for input. I can see the glue-up would be easy, just wasn't sure if the string tension would be more than the repair could take. Next time I will give it a try.

Worst case scenario....if the repair fails buy a new neck.

It would surely be worth the $75 and more IMO.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....