Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router table mounted today......

Router table mounted today......

Got my new router table mounted to the TS today, T tracks, miter track, Woodpecker PRL are all in. Just temporarily being held up right now, need to build supports. One will be a 12" x 12" tower immediately below the PRL to act as dust collector, another will be somewhat shallow drawers (10-12" deep) along the rear edge holding up the 'rear' extension. The PRL and my my PC OSS with the Woodpecker plate will store there, handy and ready to go.

The way I built it 'L' shaped was to be able to use it with the TS fence, auxiliary fence or Miter gage from the saw front, or to use it from the end with my Incra jig mounted on the rear extension. (hope that all made sense, front, rear, end all refer to the TS).

BTW: my 2nd experience with laminate -- used the old style mineral based this time, works much better, sticks better. I let it set longer, I think one of the problems I had with the water based is I got too much in a hurry and didn't let it set long enough.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-03-2005 at 10:57 PM. Reason: correct improper word
    Tony

That looks like a great set-up. The more flexible a work center is the more
    satisfied you will be with your tools. I like that you can rout from multiple sides.
    Changing the subject...what did you decide to do for a new circular saw. I remember you had a post a little while back asking about a possible replacement for your DW364.

regards ; Elliott FLA....USA

Elliott, Thanks for the comments. Haven't done anything on the Circular Saw yet, I want to see a few PC's in person before I decide. I'll probably go with the 6" saw boss, but as I said I want to see one first. It will not be a replacement, just an addition. The DeWalt is a great saw, especially for decking work, it's just kinda heavy for those quick cuts around the shop.

Where are you located, you gotta be fairly close by.
    Last edited by Tony Falotico; 09-03-2005 at 11:39 PM.
    Tony

Nice looking rig Tony! Great job, thanks for the pics.

Corey

I like the setup, Tony. Lots of horizontal real estate to work with, and the t-slot/miter track layout looks real useful. Nice job and thanks for shring it with us.

- Vaughn
    Last edited by Vaughn McMillan; 09-04-2005 at 11:47 PM.

That's a really nice setup, Tony. I like how you turned things and also extended the surface out into the area of an outfeed solution, too. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looking nice!!

Tony,

Looks super - nice setup!! Pro grade all the way.

Show us the final.....thanks!!!

Tony,

Looks good, I was thinking of putting mine in the side table too. How is you side table made, is it 1-1/2" thick? I bought the template they sell and cut another hole for mine in my workbench/router table. I also bought the PC OSS and the Woodpecker plate for it. I have a Hitachi and a WP plate for that, what router are you using? When I get time I'll post my setup in new post.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl
    Tony,

Looks good, I was thinking of putting mine in the side table too. How is you side table made, is it 1-1/2" thick? I bought the template they sell and cut another hole for mine in my workbench/router table. I also bought the PC OSS and the Woodpecker plate for it. I have a Hitachi and a WP plate for that, what router are you using? When I get time I'll post my setup in new post.

I'll try to answer your questions Peter, but keep in mind I'm an engineer by trade, so when I build structure, I BUILD STRUCTURES !!

The main part (where the router its) is framed with 3/4" plywood, covered with 1/2 MDF (the entire top is one piece). The inside of the opening is hard maple. Each cell has another piece of 1/2 mdf glued in the underside, making the top effectively 1" thick. The frame sits between / is bolted to the fence angle irons, like any table extension. The bottom of the 'L', the outfeed part, has two layers of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed under the 1/2 MDF. The last one I built several years back warped, hopefully this one won't. It is very (excessively) heavy.

The pic is the underside before I mounted it. Hope it helps.

I'm currently using a PC 1 3/4 HP motor, but I have my eyes on the 2.25 HP Bosch or the DeWalt 618 to use in it. Unfortunately, the PRL limits the routers one can use, but the ones that fit are all good ones.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tony

Looks good Tony, I have the same router lift, works great!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falotico
    I'll try to answer your questions Peter, but keep in mind I'm an engineer by trade, so when I build structure, I BUILD STRUCTURES !!

The main part (where the router its) is framed with 3/4" plywood, covered with 1/2 MDF (the entire top is one piece). The inside of the opening is hard maple. Each cell has another piece of 1/2 mdf glued in the underside, making the top effectively 1" thick. The frame sits between / is bolted to the fence angle irons, like any table extension. The bottom of the 'L', the outfeed part, has two layers of 3/4" plywood glued and screwed under the 1/2 MDF. The last one I built several years back warped, hopefully this one won't. It is very (excessively) heavy.

The pic is the underside before I mounted it. Hope it helps.

I'm currently using a PC 1 3/4 HP motor, but I have my eyes on the 2.25 HP Bosch or the DeWalt 618 to use in it. Unfortunately, the PRL limits the routers one can use, but the ones that fit are all good ones.

Thanks Tony. That top could hold a tank! Mine is a wimpy 2 piece of particle board over a 14 inch span.

Where are you located, you gotta be fairly close by.[/QUOTE]

Hey Tony... I am south of you about 45 minutes (roughly) about 2 miles SE of Trenton.
    Looking at the internal engineering of your table...you shouldn't have ANY warping issues. What brands of routers fit in the PRL ?
    I am leaning toward a Hitachi M12V for the "Norm" router table I plan on building this fall. I read a good article on how to modify it for use in a router table where all the adjustments are done without going 'under' .
    Something I've thought about using as a low-cost router lift is to install a hand cranked scissor jack on the bottom shlef just underneath the router. I turn the crank and up goes the router.
    what do you think?

Elliott

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl
    Thanks Tony. That top could hold a tank! Mine is a wimpy 2 piece of particle board over a 14 inch span.
    Yea, but it won't hold my Porter Cable Oscillating Spindle Sander !! Tried to put it in the hole tonight, and the front handle will not clear the inside of the frame, the frame is about 1/4" too deep. Guess I'll be trimming frame tomorrow -- so much for advanced design
    Tony

The TS wing router table is a great idea. I'm sure we will see more great ideas.

A couple of mentions of router lifts prompts me to tell my experience with the "RouterRaizer", which I bought from Amazon at the crazy low price of $59.95.

First, it works just great, smooth and accurate. My table-dedicated router is a HF 3hp unit (clone of the Makita 3612--$80.00 at HF) that weighs about 15#.

But before "first", there is the matter of assembly. Several other folks have reported the 1) the difficulty of reading/understanding the instructions, and I concur. 2) the difficulty of assembly is also a fact.

Once assembled, mounted in a Heavy Duty Rockler Aluminum plate in a large Rockler table and hinged to the end of the table on my 12" RAS, it is quick to set up, smooth and powerful.

Soon I will shift the assembly over to my TS.

Keep the great ideas flowing!

BILL