Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dust Collector Closet & Cooling

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Aeschliman View Post
    Jim,

In my case, I'm going to exhaust the dust collector to the outdoors... so I'm not expecting much air movement, aside from the fan-cooling of the TEFC motor. Is that the air movement you're referring to? Or were you picturing me exhausting the dust collector through filters in the closet?
    Peter,

While the air around the motor will not be moving much if at all, my point is that the motor is directly connected to the blower which has a lot of air going through it. If the motor heats up, the conduction to the blower will be good (metal to metal contact) and the air being blown outside will be heated slightly by blower. This is a cooling path for the motor that I think will be pretty effective.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    Peter,

While the air around the motor will not be moving much if at all, my point is that the motor is directly connected to the blower which has a lot of air going through it. If the motor heats up, the conduction to the blower will be good (metal to metal contact) and the air being blown outside will be heated slightly by blower. This is a cooling path for the motor that I think will be pretty effective.

Jim

Jim, that's a TEFC motor like is used on nearly all dust collectors. If the conduction through the fan housing were an adequate cooling method there would be no need for the fan on the back of the motor and you could use a TENV motor. It's the air forced across the motor frame that provides the cooling. I really don't think that you can count much on conduction to the sheet metal fan housing.
    Beranek's Law:

It has been remarked that if one selects his own components, builds his own enclosure, and is convinced he has made a wise choice of design, then his own loudspeaker sounds better to him than does anyone else's loudspeaker. In this case, the frequency response of the loudspeaker seems to play only a minor part in forming a person's opinion.
    L.L. Beranek, Acoustics (McGraw-Hill, New York, 1954), p.208.