Thread: using a tapering jig

using a tapering jig

I have the aluminum adjustable tapering jig for my table saw. I have a need to create a 14" tall trangle with a 4" base, all dimensions being approximate. My problem is that I can set the jig to cut the first side from my rectangular stock, but I have no idea what I should do to turn the piece over to cut the second side to be symetrical. Is there a trick, or formula to use to be able to place the half cut piece back against the adjustable jig to complete the triangular piece? Thanks for any help.

You should be able to simply flip the piece over for the second cut:

Taper 1 (12-13-15).jpg Taper 2 (12-13-15).jpg Taper 2 (12-13-15).jpg

I assume you have one of those metal tapering jigs like this:

One thing you could do is make a line on your table saw that extends in front of and behind the blade representing the edge of the cut. Drop the blade and then line up the marks for the taper to that line and adjust the jig.

Jerry's suggestion will work but the angle must be set to a different angle after the first pass.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Jerry's suggestion will work but the angle must be set to a different angle after the first pass.
    No. Same angle, assuming you start with a parallel sided piece.

Alternatively---if you don't have enough material to rest against the lip on the taper jig, you can make a "helper jig"---just a stick with a lip--and turn the taper jig around and move the fence to the other side of the blade (in both cases, the taper jig stays set at the same angle):

Taper 4 (12-13-15).jpg

Thank you all for the help/support. I guess that I was overthinking the whole concept..... a gut wrenching, mind numbing, sometimes embarrasing place to be.. Yes I started with a rectangular piece, but never thought to turn it over. I'll check it out. I have had the tapering jig in the above photo for years, and have only used it to cut leg tapers. I thought that anything else required a nuclear physics degree... :-)
    Last edited by Fred Perreault; 12-14-2015 at 7:45 AM.