Thread: What type of glass for doors on a TV credenza?

What type of glass for doors on a TV credenza?

I'm about to construct two small front doors (approximately 24"x8") for a living room credenza for a TV. These two doors will need glass, to allow peripherals stored in the cabinet to operate via remote control (both infrared and RF remotes).

I've never built a cabinet with glass doors -- any pointers for the type of glass?

I have already routed a grove in all the stiles and rails for the doors (this cabinet has other doors that will carry floating panels) and plan to remove more material on the back side of the stiles and rails to accept the glass and then hold it in with some sort of small clips (something like these maybe? http://www.rockler.com/glass-door-retainer-clips-kit).

Any other input is welcome.

I would use standard "double strength" glass--- it's about 1/8" thick (actually a little under).

Double strength glass seems pretty heavy. I have always used single strength glass for cabinet doors without any problems. I guess it depends on how much abuse the doors will receive.

Are these doors down near the floor, and are there small kids in the house? If yes to both, consider tempered glass. When it breaks, it breaks into little Chiclet-sized pieces, not long knives. So it would be less dangerous for the small kids. If you're just adults, ordinary window glass is likely good enough.

Tempered or laminated if it is down low. I've ordered laminated as thin as about 3/16th ... some places will only make 1/4". For most cabinets dsb, as Jerry mentioned, is the standard. You can get dsb etched and you can get films in the laminated. The films can be transparent all the way to opaque and are available in a variety of colors. 1/4" glass is hefty so plan accordingly. I have no idea how well laminated glass passes rf signals. I just mill wooden stops and pin in place. A good trick (thanks Peter Quinn) is to use a small quantity of silicone which keeps the glass from rattling or otherwise moving and actually adds quite a bit of rigidity to the doors.

Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 12-17-2015 at 12:27 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius