Thread: Heating the Shop (garage....)

Heating the Shop (garage....)

I've used a 40K BTU propane 'torpedo' style heater for a number of years and it's worked fine in terms of heat output. However, it's showing it's age and I'm starting to have problems, and I'm wondering if replacing it is the best way to go, or if I should perhaps look at a kerosene/diesel torpedo heater. I use it maybe a 10-20 days in a year. I'm not looking for a 'built in' option, I think that will be way more than I have to spend.

The most annoying thing about the propane is that if everything isn't waxed up to the gills I get a fine layer of rust. Just wondering if the kerosene style will do the same thing, or if it puts less moisture in the air. I've noticed that most of the kerosene heaters have thermostats and will turn themselves on/off which is appealing. Once the garage is hot with the propane, I have to turn it off manually, and then back on when I start freezing again.

Two other concerns are operating costs and smell--

Thoughts?

Tx,
    d
    "Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves"-Albert Einstein

In an enclosed space, any kind of torpedo heater is a bad idea. But the kerosene/diesel types are especially bad; the fumes are intolerable. I had one of those for about a day before I took it back for a refund - the fumes were obnoxious and the CO buildup made me dizzy and lightheaded within a few minutes.

For such limited usage, I'd be more inclined to install an electric infrared heater - it won't heat the air (much) but it'll heat you and that's all you're really after. Trying to heat the entire space in a normally unheated, concrete-floored garage in Michigan is a lot of work.

If you have a carbon monoxide detector in your shop a kerosene torpedo heater will set it off in minutes. That was enough to make me bite the bullet and install a vented overhead gas heater. The price of kerosene at the time was a killer also.
    That was several years ago, the price sting dissipated long ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I also have a propane torpedo heater but I like my unvented propane wall unit better no noise and throws off a lot of heat

I have a used Coleman mobile home heater, my shop is 26'x40' with 8' ceiling. I got it from a mobile home repair shop for $25. It works great but you have to have 220 volts available.

You might want to take a look through this earlier thread on this very same subject: NG shop heater. I used to use a 35,000BTU propane heater but got tired of the fumes.

My related comment in that earlier post was: For an insulated shop in the back of an attached 2-car garage (total sq.ft is about 750), I'm using a Farenheat 5000W electric heater, mounted to the ceiling and connected to a dedicated 220V/30A breaker. I picked this one up from Home Depot for roughly $250, but you can find similar models at the other big-box store.

That small heater comes with a thermostat control that cycles on an off depending on the selected dial setting. You could leave it on for prolonged periods, I guess, but I just run it while I'm working or long enough until any finish work I'm doing has had time to set up.

p.s. My garage is attached to the house and fully insulated, and I have solar panels on my house. Both of these help to offset my related electrical costs considerably. And, because I'm in living the maritime climates of the Pacific Northwest I don't have to work against negative temps.
    Last edited by Mike Ontko; 12-14-2015 at 6:03 PM.

I tried a kerosene heater, once... I ahve used propane unvented and they worked ok, not the torpedo style, they were just a metal cylinder, had flame in center, that worked well but had no thermostat, and I wasn't a huge fan of fumes. I just bought a installed a hanging furnace. haven't used it other then a test but I think it will be great.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 12-15-2015 at 1:21 PM.

I have the same setup as Mike with a 5000 watt electric heater. Warms my 20x20 shop up quickly and doesn't add a lot to the electric bill.
    Don

Blog Entries
    With adequate ceiling height in your garage, I suggest you try to find a way to install a small (35k btu) ceiling mount gas heater. Much cheaper to run than electric in most areas. I had a 75k btu one for 20 years and replaced it with a smaller unit a few years ago. Never looked back. That was for a garage only, shop is in the basement.
    NOW you tell me...

Natural gas price has hit new lows recently and if you follow the news, the USA has more of it than we know what to do with (LNG export terminals are in development on both coasts).

If you have NG available, I would certainly give NG-fired units a long look. Low fuel costs should make for quick ROI.

I put in a big dog 45k but propane ceiling mount from menards, love it 2 car garage, walk in flip thermostat ...all warm easy, run off 100 lb cylinder placed out back of garage
    It's me chip

Blog Entries
    I use a motel/hotel heating cooling unit. The compressor doesn't work but the heat works fine. Run some 220, set the temperature and walk away.
    DSC00010.JPGDSC00012.JPG