Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shop is too cold! What do I do now?

Shop is too cold! What do I do now?

Ok, this isn't another one of those "how do you heat your shop" threads. I've got a 1 1/2 car detached garage with no insulation and no plans on insulating it.

So those of you that close up the shop during winter, do you keep woodworking? Researching? Other hobbies?

I've thought about starting carving. I was recently given a Miller Falls palm carving set. What do you guys do?

I have my shop in my basement so I don't have to contemplate that question. Sorry, but there's no way I'd want to give up woodworking during the months when there is little to do outside except shovel snow. I'd be insulating and heating that shop, for sure. You don't get time back.

John

^^^Agreed^^^

I would go stir-crazy if my shop was not available, even during the winter months. If I was in your shoes, I would get some type of heater than be powered with 110 volts, unless you have 220 available in the garage. You could leave it on all the time, with a lower setting when you are not there; then turn it up when you want to do some work.

Insulate it, heat it, continue your hobby. You only get on shot at life enjoy it.
    Rich
    ALASKANS FOR GLOBAL WARMING

Eagle River Alaska

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    Whatever you do, try to avoid large temperature swings (heat on - heat off) or else rust could become an issue.

Blog Entries
    Ok, I am going to honor the OP's original request. He does not want to insulate and heat his shop. That would not be my choice, but it is his.
    I think carving would be kinda fun to try. Even though I would think you would need some artistic talent and I have none of that.
    Also, if I was banished from the shop for an extended time, I think I would definitely spend some time learning to use Sketchup and try to maybe draw some projects up as practice that I could make once the weather warmed up. I'd get me some learning material such as Dave Richard's DVD.
    I have also heard that learning how to bake bread can be quite enjoyable. When I was in Finland with my work, several of the guys in the office were really into baking bread. They had all sorts of recipes that they tried and different baking techniques. Seems it is quite the winter hobby for men over there. They brought in several loaves for me to sample that were quite good.
    Then I think I would also enjoy the fireplace, watch some Netflix and get to know the wife a little better.
    Last edited by Larry Browning; 12-16-2015 at 4:34 PM.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schatz View Post

So those of you that close up the shop during winter, do you keep woodworking? Researching? Other hobbies?
    No advice here, as woodworking is THE time sink when its too crappy outside to enjoy fair weather interests.

I live in N.E. Ohio and heating my shop is way cheaper than a divorce....

Id spend that time insulating and figuring out heating for the shop!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

I don't know how far north you are located. Buddy of mine's shop gets down to 35 or 40 degrees. When I was there last winter, he had an infrared heater (looks like what Lee Valley sells). Keeps him warm but it wont heat the air, so he does glue ups and finishing work in the house. (He lives alone.) He also wore a goose down vest and stocking cap - lets him work without interfering. (If you do that, make sure you have clearance between your clothes and any machinery - zipped up, shirttails in, etc).

Works for Mike. YMMV.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    Ok, I am going to honor the OP's original request. He does not want to insulate and heat his shop.
    Amazing how the As have nothing to do with the Qs.

I mess around with Arduinos, gun range, indoor softball, etc. There's always something if you look around.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I live where electricity is expensive so a radiant heater wouldn't work for me. My shop is a 3 car uninsulated garage and I use one of these; Mr. Heater F242655 MH30TS Double Tank Top Outdoor Heater, 8000 to 30000 BTU Per Hour https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008PAYU76..._VqFCwb2SAT8NB
    Temps are in the high 30's to mid 40's. After one hour, I have to turn it down to one burner.

[QUOTE=Myk Rian;2504391]Amazing how the As have nothing to do with the Qs.

Agreed, but, its asking addicts how to "go without".
    Therefore, the responses are quite predictable

What about scroll work? That could be done inside the house. I've thought about that to try to get my wife interested in wood working.

My shop is insulated and I get by with a little oil filled radiator type heater. I have shower curtains hung around my lathe to contain flying shavings, and that also helps to hold the heat to that area. I do like the radiator type heater without any exposed heating elements and danger or dust/chips catching fire.